Successful Travel to Delhi


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 24th 2017
Published: October 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

(I am publishing this belatedly as I could not keep up to date in India - it is 1 October and we are home.)

Theoretically we could have spent a morning in Lucca but we thought we had better be on the way reasonably early. The two Italian ladies who arranged the breakfast at the B&B (and spoke no English) greeted us like old friends and when we explained where we were going, they were very interested. The B&B provided a lavish breakfast and good coffee.

We found an easier way to the train station through a gate in the walls so we did not have to carry luggage up and down and we actually caught an earlier train than we intended. We were able to buy tickets right through to Rome. First we had to go to Florence. We were on the regional express network which was a lot faster and more reliable than the ordinary regional network. We had time to find our train to Rome where we had specific seats, and it was an easy journey as Rome Termini was the end of the line. However when we got out there we could not find the information desk or where we could buy tickets for the airport train but fortunately a man took pity on us and showed us how to use the machine to buy the tickets and which was the best train to catch and where it left from. We had a snack at the station but there is nowhere to sit, this is to discourage homeless people from lying about there. It is a very large station and has changed quite a bit since we were last there.

We arrived at Fiumicino Airport very early so we sat around and rested and kept an eye on the check in for Air India. Quite a few people, mostly Indian, were queuing up but there was no sign of any staff. Once the staff arrived we joined the queue and met an Italian guy who was going trekking in Nepal. The staff fiddled around for ages before starting the check in which we did without difficulty and as it turned out we checked in quite early so our seats were fairly near the front of the plane, cattle class that is. It was a full flight, nearly all Indian people. The seats were small but three three and three across the plane which is a good configuration, and the food was quite reasonable. This was a night flight and Tamara did get some sleep so was reasonably functional when we arrived at the airport at 4 am European time which was 7:30 am local time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.581s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb