La Befana


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
January 6th 2007
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Witches01 Witches01 Witches

Witches that drove up and down the street entertaining the crowd while they waited for the plane to drop lollies.
Geo: 45.5138, 11.4546

Today was the festival of the 'Befana', a witch who comes on the eve of the 6th of January and fill children's stockings with coal or lollies- depending on their behaviour in the past year. I've been good the last year and I also received a stocking full of treats! In the next town there were celebrating the festival, so dad, his cousin Genesio and I walked to the next town of Bessica to see what was going on. There were men dressed up as witches, old cars going up and down the street with witches on it, a plane throwing out lollies and a big pile of wood with a witch on top that they burn at night. I managed to get a few lollies. I really enjoyed being part of a local festival.

Today is also seen as a good excuse for people to burn piles of junk in their backyard, which was obvious by the smell in the air and the many bonfires around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

02 More witches02 More witches
02 More witches

Another witches display.
03 More witches03 More witches
03 More witches

More witches.
04 Mulled wine04 Mulled wine
04 Mulled wine

These witches were handing out mulled wine.
05 Plane05 Plane
05 Plane

The plane as its just about to drop lollies.
06 Witches06 Witches
06 Witches

More of the witches.
07 On horses07 On horses
07 On horses

Witches on horses.
08 Big bonfire08 Big bonfire
08 Big bonfire

The huge bonfire with a witch on top that they set on fire at night.


9th March 2010

I love Bessica.

Tot: 0.531s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb