Mont Blanc


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 18th 2015
Published: July 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 - Today even though distance is about the same as yesterday it definitely was a lot easier hiking. Upon leaving Refuge Mottets we had a two (2) hour uphill climb - sometimes very steep and other times not so steep. We followed a well-graded path that did have some areas that were muddy due to water crossing it. The path leads us through high pastures that dip into a stream-cut ravine and then eases up the final broad slope to the Col de la Seigne which is the border between France and Italy. After leaving the border and crossing into Italy we descend down the hillside to a renovated former customs house, La Casermetta which is now used as a museum and mountain information center. We at the museum/information center we watched a video on Mont Blanc that was very interesting. Back on the path it is an easy downward descend into the pastures of Le Blance the uppermost reaches of the Val Veni. It's not long before we come to some old military buildings and the Rifugio Elisabetta where we stop for a cup of coffee. Upon leaving the refuge, we arrive at an unmetalled road that was built by the Italian army that takes us to a stone bridge where we stop to have lunch beside the stream. After lunch the path becomes a very dusty road and before long we take a footpath through the larchwoods to rejoin the road arriving at the hamlet of La Visaille where we catch the bus to Courmayeur our stopping point for the day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



18th July 2015

Wordsmith
Jo, this so well written! I am enjoying reading your descriptions of your daily hikes. Thanks for including me! Jean
18th July 2015

Mont Blanc
Thank you and so glad you are enjoying my blog. Sorry I am unable to post pictures but I have been able to post them to facebook.
18th July 2015

Wordsmith
Jo, this so well written! I am enjoying reading your descriptions of your daily hikes. Thanks for including me! Jean

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb