Rome Day 3


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 28th 2013
Published: June 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Like pilgrims through the centuries, we journeyed to the Basilicas. First we went to the Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano (Church of St. John a.k.a. the Cathedral of Rome). It is the seat of papal authority - "the mother of all churches". Beth went photo crazy (she especially loved the statues of the apostles). I loved the peaceful atmosphere of the place. Then we climbed the Scala Santa on our knees. Tradition says that these are the steps that led to the praetorium (judgment hall) of Pontius Pilate's palace in Jerualem. They were brought to Rome by Helena (Constantine's mother) in 326 AD. We paused to pray on each of the 28 steps. It is here that Martin Luther was so outraged by the selling of indulgences that he was prompted to nail his 95 Theses to the Wittenburg Door...thus leading to the Protestant Reformation. We participated in a mass at the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (dedicated to the mother of Jesus). We marveled at the beautiful artwork adorning both churches! After a morning of prayer & reflection than we went on a wild goose chase attempting to get to the area of Trastevere. We walked & walked...rode a city bus to who knows where...and finally had lunch in Trastevere at 3 pm! The day concluded with a bus tour of Rome (yes, we did arrive in time to meet our Italy tour group) & dinner.

Joyce




Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb