Visit to the Vatican


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 25th 2012
Published: September 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Before leaving home Rhonda had booked on-line tickets for the Vatican museums. So this morning we walked via the nearby Colleseum to the buses on Via Nationale for a bus across the Tiber river to the Vatican. We had some morning tea at a little cafe near the Saint Peter's Square. There was many thousands of people in the Square, but the queue into the Basilica did not take too long. Inside we were particularly impressed with Michelangelo's Pieta which drew a substantial crowd to view it behind protective glass. After a general look around we went below into the Grotto to view the various little chapels and tombs of the various popes dating back to the 13th century.Leaving the grotto we then went to the cupola. The was achieved by perhaps a thousand steps in three stages. The first viewing area is on the main roof, then after a short flight into the internal base of the cupola. This gave a wonderful perspective looking down into the church. From there we climbed a very narrow, steep and crowded flight up to the top for an excellent view over Rome. On the return descent there was a shop with religious souvenirs half way down where Evan was able to get a Vatican coin.Back at the square we saw a large team setting up the many chairs for the Pope's Wednesday service. To restore flagging spirits we found a nIce cafe for lunch. Dion and Rhonda had freshly made gnocchi which was much enjoyed.The Vatican museum was highly organized but crowded. The museum design funnels people to the Sistine Chapel. Along the way we saw the collection of Greek and Roman sculptures, tapestries and maps. There was probably a couple of thousand people in the chapel which has a much different look now that the paintings have been cleaned and are much brighter than when I saw them in 1975. We were able to get a seat so as to view the ceiling and wall frescos over some time. It is an impressive achievement of art and also of restoration. While there was much more to see the boys were starting to flag and they had done very well especially considering the heat and the crowds.On leaving the museum we had some afternoon tea at the Cafe Vaticano across the road. They had free wifi which was good to catch up on emails.The plan for the rest of day was for me to drop back to the Apartment business office so they could take a photocopy of my passport and then get groceries for dinner. Rhonda took the boys home. We did this by the metro for the first time. As is usual for metros Dion is our guide.I returned via a bus down Via Nationale and managed to navigate through the back streets to our local grocery shop then home. We had chicken, asparagus risotto and salad for dinner.Tonight we were feeling sufficiently energetic to go to the Trevi Fountain to see it lit up and then have a gelati. We went by Metro. We have learnt by experience that if one train is packed like sardines it is worth waiting a couple of minutes for the next train which is invariably near empty.At the fountain there was a good humoured crowd there taking pictures and throwing coins in for good luck. After the obligatory gelati we walked back home with a little help from a bus up the hill on Via Nationale.With the first activity at 1030am there was a welcome prospect of a lie-in for some.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb