With Love from Rome!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 19th 2012
Published: July 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well...hello! We arrived in Rome about 9:15 this a.m. local time. We quickly got herded through the tunnel that is called customs...it was nothing, they didn't even stamp my passport! That kind of bugged me because I like those stamps...it is like proof of purchase. Anyway, the Rome airport is kind of a dump and nothing that reflects this incredible, amazing and historic place. We met a couple of young Aussies who were finishing up a 6 week tour of Europe and they raved about the Amalfi Coast and gave us some great tips. They were on the bus with us into the downtown. The sitbus cost us 16 euros (which is super cheap and super easy.) to get us to our Bed and Breakfast which is in the historic part of Rome and within an easy walk to all the major cites.

Once we dumped our bags and grabbed a shower we headed to a local restaurant for lunch. This place is known for its' Pasta Carbonnara. To be sure, it was fabulous. I could not finish all that was given but we were quite satisfied. We each took a 5 hour energy drink and I had a coffee. We were both dragging at this point with less than 2 hours of sleep but we had made a date with an archeologist named Jim for a walk. He met us at the restaurant and at 2:00 we set out. We hopped onto the subway because the heat at this point was in the plus 30's range and I was grateful he took pity on us. We walked for four and a half hours...what did we see? SO MUCH! What a great place and Jim knew so much. It was brilliant. He basically started us at the historic gates of Rome and took us through a policital and social history of this city. Frankly, it is mind boggling. The views were outstanding and we saw so many great things. I was particularly awed by the Parthenon--this thing was built about 150 A.D. it was outstanding. Churches and public squares and so many interesting archetectural land marks. We have not seen the Colleseum yet, nor the Vatican. We saw the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain (made wishes there) government buildings, and many wonderful and interesting places. Jim was flat out brilliant. He was funny and told great stories. He showed us where the Roman Forum is buried under parts of the city but you can see under the building in one spot where the columns still remain. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around things built BEFORE CHRIST....I don't know why but I guess that is when most of us were taught to believe time began.

One of the highlights of the day was finding the CATHOLIC PRIEST AND NUN STORE. OMY! I NEVER knew where they got their duds and now I do. I nearly flipped. I actually went in and asked questions and took pictures...I mean it. This is a one stop shop for anyone in clergy who likes a robe or a pointy hat or sensible shoes. They had nun stuff too and they custom made things. EVERYTHING was expensive but very high quality. In the back they sold chalices and rings and water and wine sets and incense burners. You could kit out a whole Catholic Church in one stop. It was so crazy! I always wondered where they got their stuff now I know! They even had window displays with priest robes and collars and nun outfits like a regular kind of fashion store but for priests and nuns. Perhaps nobody else cares but this solved a real childhood mystery for me so, kind of felt important to share that. Wait until you see the photos...

After we left Jim, at around 6:30 we showered again...it is crazy hot here. Then we went to the supermarcato and bought some basics for our room: water, bananas and some bread and cheese for lunch tomorrow. Dropped these back at our room and headed down the street for a pizza. It was fantastic, we ate outside on a patio and watched people go by....Now, I am trying to get this written out and keep my eyes open until at least 9:00 p.m. (our pact to stay awake to a reasonable bed time so we get over the jet lag quicker...) John is watching the A-TEAM in Italian...it is even worse than you can believe...tomorrow we are off to the Vatican for 9:00. We expect to spend the day there and then on Friday we will spend more time in the downtown and take in the Colleseum.

I will try to post some photos tomorrow. Until then...Rome is fantastic...nancy and john...xo!

Advertisement



19th July 2012

Habits
Well, very interesting indeed, I do hope you bought a good Habit so you will be properly attired when you return to the convent..and Jonn, the collar goes on backwards

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb