Lake Bolsena


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
August 28th 2011
Published: August 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday we were able to sleep in for the first time all week! We ate breakfast and hung out in the hotel room until 4 when we departed for nearby Lake Bolsena. Massimo, the driver of our van, apparently wanted to get to the lake very quickly. We drove down VERY narrow roads going close to 60 miles an hour and if the car in front of us was going too slow, Massimo would just drive around them. Apparently Italian drivers have worse road rage than Americans.

As we pulled up in front of the lake we realized Lake Bolsena was definitely not what we had pictured. The past week, we had constantly heard about how conservative Italy is and how we stand out by wearing tank tops and shorts. From what we could see, although only a 15 minute drive from Tuscania, Lake Bolsena was the furthest thing from conservative that I can imagine. All of the men, regardless of size, were wearing very small speedos and the women all wore tiny bikinis. Children ran around without clothes on while their parents made out on the beach.

The lake itself is beautiful, it was formed in a volcanic crater and all of the sand is black. We laid on the grass for a while and eventually made our way into the water. We went out all the way up to our necks and you could still see the bottom of the lake very clearly. It started to cool off so we got out of the water and walked around to find some type of food when we stumbled upon a pizza place. We were so confused about how to order, what to order, and where to pay that we just stood in front of this man making pizzas for about a half hour without him asking us a single question. All of a sudden he took four margarita pizzas fresh out of the oven and proceeded to fold each one in half like a sandwich and hand it to us. After finishing the entire thing, we all agreed that it was the best pizza we have ever had and the best meal we have had yet in Italy, all for only 3 euro and without even having to order. Our van driver was a little late to pick us up but we didn't mind at all because we got to watch the sunset and take some pictures. By the time we got home we were exhausted so me and Kelly watched the latest episode of the Jersey Shore and passed out as soon as it was over.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Photo 10Photo 10
Photo 10

We've seen so many Italian clothes that have English phrases written on them that don't make any sense whatsoever.


Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb