Florence to Sorrento via Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 24th 2011
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Florence to Sorrento via Rome



On the road to Rome we passed through Umbria’s rolling hills & terraced vineyards, with a few coacheokie tunes from some tour members who had shown up late to the coach!
Once in Rome we explored the ‘Eternal City’, marvelling at the size and history of the Colosseum. Gladiators were once worshiped here as modern day sports stars by up to 55,000 spectators, and its hard to believe its still standing despite its foundations being laid around 70AD. We walked through the Roman Forum, Piazza Venezia, passed Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.
We made a quick stop at the Capuchin Monks inside Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini. It holds the bones of 4,000 Capuchin monks that had been exhumed and collected between 1528 and 1870. Skulls, ribcages and femurs were arranged in very artistic way – unfortunately photos weren’t allowed inside.
We could have spent hours in Vatican City, and so decided to go on a tour of The Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel and St Peter’s Basilica. You can easily get lost in there!!

We departed Rome with our sights on the Isle of Capri where we took a ferry from Naples to soak up the sweeping views. The waters here had become more turquoise, but we found ourselves missing the lovely sand beaches found at home – the pebble beaches were certainly an experience. It’s quite challenging not to look like a fool when entering and exiting the water, very uncomfortable under toe but at least you don’t have to worry about sand in your swimmers!
The Furnicular took us to the top of the Isle of Capri, where we walked around the intimate streets lined with white houses and spectacular views over the volcanic regions.
As the day was ending our ferry set off for Sorrento spending just one night here before taking off towards Greece.



Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



30th July 2011
Trevi Fountain

Hi from Deniliquin
Hi Lachie and Sheree, your photos are fantastic, and its sounds like you are having a great time,we are very interested the in ruins of all the countries you have been to. The Trevic Fountain looks great, every photo you have taken is terrific.Its very cold here today to cold to play bowls, so are doing a few things around the house.Have more fun on your trip Love and take care Nana XXXX

Tot: 0.713s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.1183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb