Getting Acquainted with ROMAA


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
January 14th 2011
Published: January 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

So, Rome is amazing. There are no other words to describe it.

The flight in wasn't to bad. Although it was a snowstorm, we only departed an hour late. Thankfully I got to sit next to Ali Winters (rome roomate-romeate, and she is also in my sorority) and Madison Beaton (also in my sorority). They served us dinner and breakfast on the plane which i was impressed with, however the quality wasn't so great. The beef didn't even look like beef and there was some nasty pasta looking thing- i donno it was terrible though. I made a vow to myself (because i am an extremely picky eater as you all know) that i would be more openminded and try more foods now that im in rome, but this was an exception. I mean hell, i was still in America! But then i watched social network and feel asleep for two hours. I started feeling like i was getting sick on the plane (not nausea, more like a cold) but thankfully that passed after i took some medicine. The breakfast was just as terrible so that was nothing spectacular. Then after a nine hour flight, we landed in ROMAAAA.

When we landed everyone was instantly on a high. It was gorgeous out and girls immediately pulled out their sunglasses. We didn't have to go through customs but i did get my first stamp in my passport!! 😊 so that was super exciting. Then we got out luggage (which of course i was the last person to get theirs) and hopped on a shuttle that took us to campus.

The neighborhood that campus is in ir gorgeous. The houses are really animated (painted bright colors) and they all have balconies with beatiful flower gardens on them that wind all around the railings-i hope to one day live in a place like that. Its also really easy to get to town from the campus. The streets wind, curve and bend but are all super beautiful so its nice walking around and the weather is fabulous so im not complaining!

When we first got to the campus everyone was on a high but at the same time extremely exhausted. We moved in and then had a day full of unpacking, organizing and meetings. But that of course did not stop us from going out that night. We went to a local bar called the Cubbyhole (its like loyola chicago's hammies). It did its purpose and got all of loyolas students drunkkk. We cleaned out all the ice and vodka that they had there. The next day, needless to say, was EXTREMELY hungover. To an extent that i couldnt even keep down water- but thats all im gunna say.

So since i was so hungover on Thursday me and the girls decided to have a quiet night. We went into a town called Trastevere. This town is just absolutely adorable. When Italy/Rome is shown in American movies as being small and quaint full of rich culture- they are talking about this town. The streets were made of cobblestone and the buildings were old with the traditional balconies and flowers. There was also laundry hanging that just added to the European feeling. There were so many bars and mom and pop shops around to. Whats cool about this place is that its a very "young" part of Rome so there are many young people out and about. So while the outside is cultured and quaint, you walk into a bar and its a whole different world. Its booming with music, its packed but its a whole lot of fun. Anyways, me and the girls ended up wandering into a little restaurant and getting some food. We walked in and were immediately pegged as Americans (which sucked) but the service was fine. The inside of the restaurant was ADORABLE. The walls looked like the paint was coming off and the exposed brick was underneath. ANd then it had HUGE ceilings with wooden beams. Added to the amazingness is that i can drink, all the time, so its nice being able to have a glass of wine with dinner. Anyways the place had amazing food (i had Gnocci) and it was resonably priced.

Ill add more later 😊 thanks for reading!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.272s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb