Amalfi Coast, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 28th 2010
Published: November 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last summer (2010) we had a chance to take a short trip down the Amalfi Coast. We flew in to Rome from Prague and then took the train down to Naples. After a quick run through the neighborhoods near the train station I can see why Naples is the most crowded city in Europe. I just had time to make a run for pizza at a mom and pop place before we headed further south. I eat pizza everywhere I go and I must say that we much preferred pizza in Rome over the Naples style where it all began. The Naples style is a chewier crust rather than the crisper type in Rome.



We certainly didn't get see see all of the Amalfi Coast but there are a few things we could recommend. The roads on the coast south of Naples, particularly around Positano and Amalfi are very busy, but have some gorgeous views. Positano was our favorite of those villages that we visited. I would recommend walking around the place - take the walk up the numerous steps to get great views of Positano from above. We spent most of our time in Salerno which isn't really the most touristy place to stay on the Coast but staying in the old town gives you a great feel for real life in southern Italy. A cheap but great way to see the coast from the water is to take one of the many boats going to Positano or Amalfi. It makes for a great day trip, giving you many photo ops from the boat, and avoids the croweded roadway for a day. I also took a day trip to Paestum from Salerno to see some major Roman ruins. It was an interesting side trip if you enjoy such history.



On our route back north we spent a day in Rome and had a wonderful time. I had been in Rome before but had missed out on getting to see the Sistine Chapel. I would definitely recommend getting reservations on-line before going. It is a great experience and I enjoyed the areas of the Vatican outside the Chapel also. The halls leading up to the Chapel are really amazing. Just down the hill from the Sistine Chapel is a phenomenal gelato place called the Old Bridge Gelateria. We were planning on going to another place recommended by our guidebook but a taxi driver took us to this place instead - and we are so happy he did! if you are in the area make an effort to get there and you won't be disappointed. We also recommend a nice long walk around the city just before dark as the views are amazing as the lights are coming on and the sun is going down.


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb