Stay Away From Saint Mark’s Square


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 17th 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 17, 2008, Italy

Two days after quitting my job, my mom arrived in London. A short stay in the city, and we were off the next day to Venice, Italy. Venice is one of those places that you have to see before you die. I’m not talking about Saint Mark’s Square or the Rialto Bridge. Stay away from those places, which are swarming with sweaty, digital camera-toting tourists, all seeking the perfect shot of Venice and its canals. My Mom and I preferred the canals and alleys far away from the tourists. They are hard to find, but they are out there. The islands of Morano and Burano, possibly the two most touristy islands, also have hidden areas. You just have to search. Which we did for three days.

After Venice we took a train to Florence. Tuscany and the hills around Florence are about as picturesque a place I’ve ever seen. The hills were so sun-drenched, that in the middle of the day, it hurt my eyes to look at them. The bales of hay glow a golden yellow. The afternoon sky is fire red. The food on the tables at the countless cafés and restaurants looks like it could be on the cover of cookbooks: basil risotto, cod baccala, artichoke crepes with fresh herbs. Italy is a place for anyone with an appetite for food and bright colors. We both promised to come back.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.327s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb