Assisi


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 17th 2008
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

17 May 2008

We made an early start and after a quick supermarket shop headed for Assisi arriving at midday. Having read about the crowds we decided to do the washing and have a leisurely lunch before walking down to Assisi through the countryside.

Our first stop was the Duomo which had obviously been prepared for a wedding. We saw the font where St Francis and St Clare had been baptised. The Basilica of St Clare is relatively unadorned as the then pope feared too much decoration would distract the nuns from their devotions. We visited another old church slightly off the beaten track - a rewarding detour.

Having left it as late as possible as late as possible we then went to the Basilica of St Francis a church built on two levels shortly after he died and was canonised. The building contains many magnificent frescos, the best of which are a series on the life of St Francis by Giotto (no photos allowed).

E were surprised by the gound we had covered and it was a long hard uphill slog through the town and back to the camp site.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb