Travelling around the boot : Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 8th 2007
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After departing Tokyo, next stop on Pip's World Tour was Rome!

I couldn't really have picked too more differing countries in terms of their landscape, history, culture and people. But that's what makes life so interesting doesn't it!

Day 1 - was a historical sites tour. First stop: the Colosseum which was only a short walk from my hostel. What first struck me was how the Italians have endeavoured to preserve this and other historical sites, in the middle of the city whilst the rest of the city bustles on as each year goes by. This is probably quite a normal thing for most Europeans but us Aussies - with our short history - tend to notice things like this (well I do anyway!)

It's hard to believe that the Emperor used to throw humans (criminal or otherwise) and/or animals into the ring to battle for their lives. It was essentially considered a form of entertainment. Well thank God for television I say!

The Forum, nearby, had a lovely peaceful feel to it. It was the central area around which ancient Rome developed, and where a lot of the people used to come and generally 'hang
The Forum The Forum The Forum

Yes, Gladiator territory
out', before big Westfields or cafes came along ;-)

Day 2 - the Vatican/St Peter's. Not being a very religious person, I didn't think I'd be moved by it, from the moment I entered the walls of the piazza it was striking in it's size, architecture and enormous presence. Inside, I was almost dumb founded at the scale, detail and money that must have been spent on it over the years. Apparently even though the shell of the building is extremely big they wanted to make it appear smaller inside to the Catholic followers, so they incorporated all sorts of optical illusions.

Then through Tuscany, and all the beautiful terracotta coloured old towns, so quaint they and the whole Tuscan area needs to be experienced first hand. I found myself often saying 'this is too beautiful to be real'...

Then it was time to explore the rest of the country, so the next stop was Florence - arguably the historical art capital of the . The statue of David is incredible. Photo's don't do it justice, which is just as well since we weren't allowed to take any.

Then it was up to the gorgeous seaside area of the Cinque Terre, and then Lake Como, right near the Swiss Border for a few days and then over to Venice to get lost in a maze of little alleys and waterways. Not that I minded at all.

Take care and keep in touch

Pip xxx






Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Swiss GuardsSwiss Guards
Swiss Guards

They might look like jesters but apparently these guys are trained to kill if necessary...hmmm...
fountainfountain
fountain

I don't know why but this always makes me laugh
GraffitiGraffiti
Graffiti

Damn someone tagged this wall before I got a chance to!
The Cinque TerreThe Cinque Terre
The Cinque Terre

Right near where my good friend Melina used to live. Gorgeous spot.
Monterosso - Cinque TerreMonterosso - Cinque Terre
Monterosso - Cinque Terre

don't I just hate it here??


12th June 2007


You have some great photo's there Pip. The Cinque Terre looks amazing. I hope all is going well in your travels. Everything is much the same here just not as fun while you are away. Keep safe lovely.
13th June 2007

Green with envy!
Oh, how I would love to have shared this journey with you! The scenery is just mind-blowing, isn't it, and so much history. Glad to see you're safe, happy and well (it's a mum thing!) Keep those blogs coming........ love you xx Mama
19th June 2007

ahhh
brought back memories of when i went here with the mum and brother... i think around same time of year too so it's pretty quiet and a little cool but still absolutely gorgeous. hi mama pip by the way! hope you're not missing your daughter too much! I must say, it's great to have her here in the UK... take care and hope to see you soon! Jane xxx

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb