Down on The Farm


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
November 1st 2006
Published: November 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

pondering life in the abruzzo hillspondering life in the abruzzo hillspondering life in the abruzzo hills

for two weeks andreas and i worked side-by-side on his family's vineyard, the nonna and mama helping out as they could. He liked chocolate cake for breakfast, talking to me for hours about astrophysics (i barely understood those italian terms), when the steel tanks heated up from the wine fermentation and driving the tractor under low branches as i stood in the back ducking down low. He was a good friend.

Down on The Farm

 Europe » Italy By BIG
November 1st 2006
brittan inman goldmann
i came back to autumn in italy after making a large circle-swoop travel in eastern europe and arriving just in time to catch the grape and olive harvests, (not to mention la racolta di Turpinambor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke). It seemed as though i was chasing summer as i crossed meridian lines headed south. It was not until retiring from sun bathing at 4 p.m, when the sun fell upon the Sicilian orange groves and the aire turned bitter, that i realized i had met some version of winter. In those days my finger nails carried the soils of Abruzzo vineyards, Campania's lush mountain peaks, and Basilicata's rich clay to the volcanic ashes that fell from mt. Etna's boiling volcano. In those days my black heels hibernated at the bottom of my back pack and my 2 euro pants were held up with knotted scarfs. It was not until i spent some days in Rome before flying home that i coated mascara on my clean, naked, lashes after two months of country bliss. I wonder if these photos will do justice to that time: not for the people that i met.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

the first cut from the vinethe first cut from the vine
the first cut from the vine

8 a.m. the Nonna and i are ready to start cutting...at that moment i had no idea just how big the job was and how many perfect, sweet grapes were waiting on the vine for us.
the harvestthe harvest
the harvest

And in the autumn, when you gather the grapes of your vineyard for the winepress, say in you heart, "I to am a vinyard, and my fruit shall be gathered for the winepress, And like new wine I shall be kept in eternal vessels." "And in winter, when you draw the wine, let there be in your heart a song for each cup; And let there be in the song a remembrance for the autumn days, and for the vineyard, and for the winepress." -The PROPHET, by Kahlil Gibran
Ravioli production lineRavioli production line
Ravioli production line

The food was genius.
Lunch timeLunch time
Lunch time

The two hour break inside the cool home where we all would sweat and sniffle in a chorus to the hot peperocini oil generously dropped on the pasta. This is us after our watered-wine and hot sauce high, before heading out to the fields to munch on the cold grapes while picking and fighting sugar-hunting wasps.
Senora Maria and YoniSenora Maria and Yoni
Senora Maria and Yoni

The photo remnants of the other two farms inbetween Abruzzo and Sicily seem to have been lost.... i have no picutres of that time. However, here are the ladies of the home preparing for lunch the next day near the notorious wood-burning oven.
SicilySicily
Sicily

i wrapped socks around the handle bars and tied cushions onto the seat of an old bike...and yes, the evening rides across the hills of Sicily with the choking chain was worth it.
SicilySicily
Sicily

Lovely Victoria in our "cabbage" (i.e.. cottage) full of Mina, Guitar, Pomegranates, Prickly Pears, Poetry, Incense....
oh, donkey heartoh, donkey heart
oh, donkey heart

bringing the babes in for the night
attempts to leaveattempts to leave
attempts to leave

when the Bus and Train union goes on strike in Sicily there are few options.
WE made itWE made it
WE made it

On to Rome!! Not before making a stop to see an old friend in AGROPOLI!!!
In Rome for a while...In Rome for a while...
In Rome for a while...

Rome was the big cherry-on-top of the huge Italian Indulgence.
rome is for loversrome is for lovers
rome is for lovers

rome is for everyone because it is just that beautiful
hoorah!! i have no facehoorah!! i have no face
hoorah!! i have no face

everywhere we went, there we found something incredible


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1104s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb