The Ultimate List: Top Gifts to Bring from the U.S. to Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 2nd 2023
Published: September 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

When visiting the beautiful country of Italy, it's a kind gesture to bring gifts for your hosts, friends, or family. While Italy is renowned for its world-class fashion, cuisine, and art, there are certain items that are distinctively American and can make for thoughtful gifts. Here's a listicle of the best gifts to bring from the U.S. to Italy:

1.American Whiskeys & Bourbons: Italy might be the land of wine, but introducing Italians to the rich, varied flavors of American whiskeys and bourbons can be a delightful experience. Popular brands like Maker's Mark, Bulleit, or Woodford Reserve can be excellent choices.

2.Local Artisanal Goods: From handcrafted jewelry to unique pottery, the U.S. has a plethora of local artisans. Gifting a piece that represents your home state or city adds a personal touch.

3.Gourmet Peanut Butter: Believe it or not, peanut butter is not as ubiquitous in Italy as it is in the U.S. Introduce your Italian friends to the creamy or crunchy goodness of brands like Skippy, Jif, or even better, an organic artisanal variant.

4.Maple Syrup: The genuine sweetness of maple syrup, especially from states like Vermont or New Hampshire, can be a unique treat. It's a far cry from the usual sweeteners found in Italy and makes for a delicious pancake or waffle topping.

5.Napa Valley Wines: While Italy is renowned for its wines, the Napa Valley in California offers some of the world's best. Gifting a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay from this region can be a gesture of sharing the best from your homeland.

6.American Sports Merchandise: Whether it's an NBA jersey, an NFL cap, or baseball mitts, sports gear from popular American leagues can be a hit, especially among younger Italians.

7.Board Games: Classic American board games like Monopoly (U.S. edition), Scrabble, or even newer ones like Cards Against Humanity can offer hours of entertainment and a chance for your hosts to practice their English.

8.Beauty and Skincare Products: Brands like Estée Lauder, Clinique, or Kiehl's have a global reputation. While they might be available in Italy, limited edition products or specific American lines can make for great gifts.

9.Craft Beers: The craft beer movement has exploded in the U.S., producing a myriad of unique flavors and brews. Bring a selection from your local microbrewery to share a taste of American innovation.

10.Books by American Authors: A classic novel or a recent bestseller by an American author can be a thoughtful gift, especially if your Italian friend is keen on improving their English. Consider titles by authors like Ernest Hemingway, Toni Morrison, or John Grisham.

11.American Magazines: Fashion, lifestyle, or travel magazines like Vogue, Time, or National Geographic offer a glimpse into American culture and current events.

12.Specialty Coffee: While Italy has its own renowned coffee culture, introducing Italians to specialty beans from regions like Hawaii or artisanal blends from American roasters can be a treat.

13.Tech Gadgets and Accessories: The latest tech accessories, like unique phone cases, wireless chargers, or smart home gadgets that might not yet be available in Italy, can be great gifts for tech enthusiasts.

14.American Candy and Snacks: Bring a taste of American childhood with candies like Reese's, Twizzlers, or Jelly Belly. Or perhaps introduce them to the world of flavored popcorn, pretzels, and trail mixes.

15.Music & Entertainment: An LP of a classic American album, a DVD set of a popular TV show, or even tickets to an upcoming U.S. concert (if they have plans to visit) can be great ways to share American pop culture.

Expert advice on what to bring

We've sought advice from seasoned travelers and here's what they recommend:

1. James Rider of GroupToursUSA.com Recommends:

•USA Themed Passport Wallet: Emblematic of America, lightweight, and of practical use in Italy. It sends a message of a traveler’s relationship to the world. Various designs are available online.

•Italian Themed Keychain or Italian Translation Dictionary: These are emblematic of Italy while being lightweight and practical.

2. Tom from Polar Holidays Advocates for:

•State-themed Postcard Sets: Light, compact, and emblematic of America. Great for sending to friends and family back home.

•Custom Postcards: Personalize your gift with specific quotes or artwork that appeals to the recipient.

•Etsy for State Postcards: An array of styles from vintage prints to custom artwork is available for those wanting a variety of designs.

In Conclusion When selecting gifts for Italy, the emphasis should be on items that are lightweight, emblematic of the USA, and have a mix of practicality and aesthetic appeal. Whether it's a passport wallet or state-themed postcards, gifts should resonate with both the giver's American heritage and the recipient's appreciation for unique, thoughtful presents. As always, ensure any food items or products comply with international regulations to ensure smooth travel. Safe travels and happy gifting!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.572s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2006s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb