3 Ways to Save Money on a Trip to Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 24th 2019
Published: July 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post



There was a time when Italy used to be the ideal place for tourism, with dirt-cheap rates, affordable accommodation, and easy means of transport. However, those days have long gone. Today, Italy is one of the most expensive tourist destinations.

However, since Italy remains very rich in terms of tourism, many tourists from all over the world consider traveling to Italy on a budget. Indeed, there are several inexpensive ways to enjoy this magnificent country. All that you need to do is to plan and keep a modest budget.

In case you have not planned a trip before, consider booking a travel package. This way, you will be able to bundle together the costs of hotel, transportation, and airfare. As a result of this, you will not have to plan everything separately and will also save plenty of travel costs.

In this article, I aim to provide you three major money-saving hints and tips to travel in Italy.

When should you go




The first decision that you need to take, is to decide the season to visit. The weather in Italy is not always at a perfect 75 degrees Fahrenheit. In case you visit Italy during off-season time, you will get the cheapest price for airfare and discounted accommodation. Moreover, you will not have to get reservations three months beforehand. At the same time, you will be able to enjoy several free museum tours during certain days. Due to less tourism hassle, you may also find local people to more accommodating and polite during the off-season.

For touring Italy, consider visiting from May to June or from September to October. During this period, the temperatures are bearable and tourism is not on the peak. However, in the middle of June, tourism peaks and the country gets filled with visitors in between July and September.

All in all, August is the worst month to visit Italy. This is because it will become very crowded, and hot. As a result of this, quality accommodation will become very expensive.

Traveling around in Italy




When you are traveling in Italy, remember that the costs of cabs can be high and transportation can be slow. In this regard, other local transport such as Eurostar trains can be quite suitable. However, they are also considerably expensive. Nevertheless, since they are quite fast, it may compensate.

I still recommend that you walk while you can, and travel lightly if possible. Before you leave, map out your directions and strategy to get to the place via a map. This will allow you to save considerable travel costs, and if you do rent a vehicle then be sure to do so well in advance for the best rates.

Finding accommodation




In case you travel during the high season, chances are there will be no discounts available, especially in major cities such as Rome, Florence, and Venice. Some inexpensive rooms in Italy include shared bathrooms. Normally, as little as two people share a bathroom in these rooms. In case you are lucky, chances are that the other room will not even be vacant. However, that is quite unlikely.

Nevertheless, rooms with shared bathrooms tend to cost far lesser as compared to rooms with single bathrooms.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb