5 Best Places to Visit during a Weekend in Milan, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 20th 2019
Published: June 20th 2019
Edit Blog Post



Most people associate Milan with expensive brands and shopping, but it’s not just about that. If you try to explore a bit deeper, you’ll find a lot of opportunities to find breathtaking places and see the most exquisite cultural and historical attractions.

So, what places should you include in your itinerary if you come to Milan for your weekend? We prepared top-5 best places for you to see.

1. The Duomo (Milan Cathedral)




Duomo di Milano is one of the most breathtaking cathedrals you will see in Europe and it’s definitely important to visit on your first day in Milan. It’s not only beautiful from the outside, but also has a lot to see on the inside, artistic at its finest as it also took more than 600 years to build.

If you like statues, architecture, and art – Milan cathedral is essential for you. Include the Duomo museum into your visit, too.

2. Sforzesco Castle




After taking your time at the Duomo, you can freely walk to this impressive castle and get a glimpse of Italy’s military past. There are several museums and a list of important works featured, including unfinished Michelangelo’s work Pieta and Leonardo da Vinci’s experience.

An important note to take is that this place is meant to be a museum, for now, so don't expect anything unusual about the building itself, although it's huge and powerful.

3. Pinacoteca di Brera




In case the castle didn’t impress you enough, take a look at the Pinacoteca di Brera. You have never seen anything like this before, the biggest collection of Italian masters is here and waiting for you to see it.

A floor above an art school, there are plenty of seats for you when you want to rest your feet and appreciate old paintings in their glory. Mantegna, Bellini, Raphael, Tintoretto, and a lot more geniuses worked hard on what's now guarded here.

4. Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II




Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II has a stunning structure that will amaze you from the first sight. You can hide here from the pouring rain or just come to see the variety of shops – either way, you'll enjoy your walk and stay here.

We should probably add that this place is lively and busy most of the time. So, if you're an extrovert that's ready to see a lot of tourists and locals in the same place or drink coffee and catch glances of passing people, then you are definitely ready to come and visit at any time. In case groups of people are not for you – come here in the morning when it's not that stuffed.

5. Lake Como




When you need a break from the city of Milan, escape to nature on your second day by renting a car and enjoying a car ride to the Lake Como can become a suitable destination for you. 40 km from Milan, this lake is the deepest and most mysterious one, that’s exactly the reason why a lot of visitors come here every year.



You can take over pools near the lake or try some extreme water sports like windsurfing, water skiing, and sailing. Driving the outskirts of the lake is a beautiful way to spend a day, even if you don’t stop along the way to explore.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb