Our Day on the many islands of Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto
July 4th 2013
Published: July 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We spent our day visiting all the beauty and charm Venice has to offer. We began our day in St. Marcos Square taking in the sights and visiting St. Marco's Basilica located at the Eastern side of square. From there we began exploring the hundreds of twisting and turning streets, walking over bridges and wondering to see what this island city has to offer. The most amazing sight in Venice is the city itself. We stopped for lunch by the famous Rialto bridge and enjoyed people watching on the Grand Canal.

In the afternoon, we took a Grand Canal audio tour learning about all the buildings that make up this magnificent place. The weather is much different here, it is warmer and more humid that France and Germany. Before dinner we came back to the hotel to change and I took a short nap.

We decided to follow the advice of Rick Steeve's and have dinner at one of his recommended Restaurants which was amazing. All the food was authentic Venetian cuisine wanting to show the delicious options the region has to offer, not focused on the tourist dollar or plastic. We ended our night back in St. Marko's square at the Florian, a Cafe that has been around since 1720. All the waiters were dressed in Tuxedos and drinks were served on sliver platters with olives and peanuts. A five piece orchestra played all night, we had the most amazing time! There were about five other places similar in the square which we may check out later in the trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb