Northern Italy Vacation with Steve and Kay


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto
May 28th 1982
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In the summer of 1982 Linda and Bob took a trips with Steve and Kay and their boys to northern Italy over an extended Memorial Day weekend.

28 May 1982 Friday. After work Linda and Bob drove to Oberammergau where we spent the night with Steve and Kay and their boys.

29 May 1982 Saturday. The next morning all of us drove in separate cars to Innsbruck, Austria and then over the Brenner Pass to Lake Garda, driving along the western lakeshore until we reached Sirmione. This town is on a peninsula jutting up from the southern shore. We checked into our hotel and then walked around the town and out the peninsula to the ruins of a Roman palace. It was a perfect day with a blue sky and lake with snow capped alps at the far northern end with the castle in the foreground.

30 May 1982 Sunday. The next day we drove into Venice and took a gondola ride through the canals. We spent the night in Vicenza where we bought gas coupons at the U.S. Army base and checked out some buildings designed by Palladio.

31 May 1982 Monday. The next day we drove south to Padua and then along the Adriatic coast to Ravenna to see the Eastern Orthodox style mosaics in the various churches and mausoleums. We continued over the Apennine mountains to Florence arriving in the evening.

1 June 1982 Tuesday. We spent the next day touring the Uffizi Gallery with a mother lode of Renaissance paintings, the Academy with the statue of David, the Ponte Vecchio, etc.

2 June 1982 Wednesday. The next day Steve and Kay headed back to Oberammergau while Linda and I continued to Pisa and then up the coast and inland to Switzerland, and then home.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.931s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 64; qc: 207; dbt: 0.2837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.9mb