City of Romeo and Juliet


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
July 15th 2011
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Arena di Verona Arena di Verona Arena di Verona

A massive Roman structure still in great condition.
Geo: 45.442, 10.9955

We again had a hearty breakfast at the Hotel David in Florence. Highly recommended as a place to stay.

Headed off to Verona for a short one day stopover on the way to Venice.

We arrived in Verona around 12.30pm.

The history of Verona goes back to at least 550 B.C. The city was originally inhabited by the Etruscans, and became a Roman colony in 89 B.C. Verona was ruled by a series of monarchs, military rulers and wealthy families down through the centuries, including Napoleon. Verona was one of the most heavily bombed of the Italian cities in WWII, with the Germans destroying all of the city's bridges as they departed in August 1945.

Verona is a very clean city, with the River Erbe winding it's way through the city in a series of sweeping curves.

Our first stop off was the Arena di Verona, which was built by the Romans in the first century A.D. It could hold 22,000 spectators, and remains in very good condition.

Next we walked around the city, stopping off to see various Roman walls and buildings.

We then located Juliet's House and took a photo of Juliet's Balcony. Underneath the balcony is
Statue of Juliet Statue of Juliet Statue of Juliet

Jim posing for the obligatory photo with Juliet.
a bronze statue of Juliet that legend has brings it good luck to the one who rubs her breast. See the photo with this blog. Juliet is buried in one of the city's leading churches, and we walked past the house that was once owned by Romeo's family.

We then visited the Ponte Pietra, an ancient bridge spanning the River Erbe that was repaired after WWII. We then had a look at the Roman Theatre overlooking the river.

After that we drove up to the hill to a monastery overlooking the city, which afforded great views.

We had dinner at the Hotel where we are staying, which is located in vineyards on the edge of the city.

Off to Venice tomorrow, so a big day coming up. Luckily Venice is only 1 hour 15 mins away.

Jim and Kim


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ponte Pietra Ponte Pietra
Ponte Pietra

You can see where the bridge was repaired after WWII.
View from the MonasteryView from the Monastery
View from the Monastery

that overlooks Verona.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb