No SatNav...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
April 14th 2014
Published: April 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

One last feed of the cows for Em then it was time to pack up. After cleaning up and saying our farewells, a taxi picked us up to take us to our rental car which was in Zell am See on the far side of the mountains about an hour’s drive away. We got the car with no problems but then realised that it had no satellite navigation system. As we like to stay off the motorways when we can, this is a pretty big issue for us. Their advice was go to another Europcar store to see if they had any handheld devices.

Where is that?

Innsbruck. 2 hours away.

How do we get there?

They produced a map of Austria and told us it was the best they could do. No detail even how to get out of the city we were in… hmmm.

Across the road to Maccas to alleviate a bit of stress and use the wifi to download our route into google maps. The problem of course is that if I take a wrong turn, the route can’t update so we get lost very quickly, especially with all the one way roads. Mel did a fantastic job navigating us through the maze of small towns to get us to Innsbruck and onto the motorway heading for Italy and Verona.

DON’T BELIEVE THE TIMES IN GOOGLE MAPS!!

Four hours my a$$! Six hours later we were trying to find our hotel in the dark on the busy streets of Verona. Mel has the eyes of an eagle and spotted it with just enough time for me to screech across the traffic and pull up in front. Phew!!

On the up side, we discovered that the food at the rest stops (roadhouses) is actually really good. Panini’s for dinner were toasted fresh and tasted great. A far cry from the greasy truck stop food you get in Australia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb