The 15 minutes that saved Verona


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
September 29th 2007
Published: September 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Arena, dating from the 1st Century A.D., Verona’s Roman AmphitheatreThe Arena, dating from the 1st Century A.D., Verona’s Roman AmphitheatreThe Arena, dating from the 1st Century A.D., Verona’s Roman Amphitheatre

A common sight on our vacation…Laura’s back, arms raised, camera clicking away.
In retrospect, Verona is a beautiful city (from the bell tower), the streets were packed and we felt rushed as we only had the afternoon to spend before we were off again. We made the obligatory stop at Juliet's balcony. A couple hundred years ago, an entrprising Veronese dude slapped an empty Roman sarcophagus against the wall and labeled it "Juliet's balcony". Tourists having been flocking here ever since...in droves. We saw some interesting things, and in our typical style we tried to cram too much in. By the time we found the wine bar, Enoteca Cangrande (recommended by Amanda!), we had about 15 minutes to cram in a wine tasting. The owner, Giovanni, insisted on bringing us mutiple delicious appetizers and we experienced our first classic Italian rush job. That is, "Oh, you're in a hurry no problem. Let me bring you some more food."...meaning no one in Italy rushes for anything, but especially not food or wine. Giovanni and the wonderful wine and food he served was the 15 minutes that saved Verona.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Cool trike!Cool trike!
Cool trike!

2-wheels in front, 1-wheel in back. Perfect for the narrow streets in the villages of Italy.
Mike standing under the "stable" whalebone in Verona.Mike standing under the "stable" whalebone in Verona.
Mike standing under the "stable" whalebone in Verona.

Legend has it that anyone who has never told a lie and passes underneath will have the whalebone fall upon them. Mike seemed surprised that it didn't fall on him...us, not so much!
Katie we lit a candle for you here in the Church of SantKatie we lit a candle for you here in the Church of Sant
Katie we lit a candle for you here in the Church of Sant

This Madonna was unique and beautiful and made us think of you.
J9 this one is for you.J9 this one is for you.
J9 this one is for you.

Do you think Brikenstocks go with Armani?
Appetizer that was part of the 15 minutes.Appetizer that was part of the 15 minutes.
Appetizer that was part of the 15 minutes.

36-month parmesan, 40-year balsamic vinegar and giant capers. Yummy!
Fancy pants Italian wine aerator.Fancy pants Italian wine aerator.
Fancy pants Italian wine aerator.

Elminates decanting and pours the perfect quanity. Yes, we had to get one.
The owners of Enoteca Cangrande with their cane piccoloThe owners of Enoteca Cangrande with their cane piccolo
The owners of Enoteca Cangrande with their cane piccolo

Eating and drinking at Enoteca Cangrande (aka Big Dog, the name of a previous Veronese Lord) in our allotted 15 minutes (group travel!) saved Verona for us. The Amarone Della Valpolicella was excellent, and Giovanni and his wife were wonderful hosts.


29th September 2007

Can you say jealous?
We are loving the updates from your trip. And, wow, what a trip. You are really making us feel like we're there. Of course, we'd much rather be there with you! Safe travels.
29th September 2007

Hey
One wheel in front, two wheels in back???? Let's hear it for Italian wine.
29th September 2007

Typos
Uncle Fred you caught me, although, it wasn't because I had too much Italian wine, it was because I didn't want to be late for the next glass. ;->
4th October 2007

Where are you?
I've put on 10 lbs in sympathy eating! The blogs are great, miss you. When will you be home

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0794s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb