Venice, a blog by Tom


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 27th 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4345, 12.3384

Yesterday we went to Venice. It has lots of canals. It doesn't have roads and there are no cars. People get to places by boats or by walking.

I like the gondolas. They are a black boat, and the gondolier wears a shirt with red and white or blue and white polo shirts, and a boater hat. He stands at the back of the boat, and pushes the boat with an oar. The gondola doesn't have a motor, and it is slow and quiet. The canals are salt water, because Venice is in the ocean. Sometimes the water comes up - all houses have two entrances, one on the water and one on the footpath, but the people don't live in the bottom storey of their houses any more because of the flooding.

We went to St Marks' Basilica. Some people say it is the second best church in Europe (the Vatican in Rome is bigger). It had 7 domes, and the insides of the domes were covered in gold mosaics, and the gold was real gold. One dome showed Jesus and the twelve disciples, and the other had tongues of flame shooting out the heads of the apostles at Pentecost.

I liked the whole of Venice better than anything else.

Advertisement



29th May 2010

Tom, how wonderful St. Marks sounds, you are seeing a lot of very interesting things on your trip.E is asleep and I will show her your blog in the morning.missing you Tom, love J&E
29th May 2010

Darling Georgia, what a lovely descriptive blog, I feel like I am there with you nearly touching the water.E is asleep and will be very excited to read your blog tomorrow morning. she started a poem today for you and will probably finish it
tomorrrow and email.we love you and know that you are having the best time, J&E
13th June 2010

To Tom,I hope you're having a great time in Italy.I just wanted to know how you are feeling.If you have a chance can you please email me back.from domenic.

Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb