Gone to the Doges


Advertisement
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
October 15th 2016
Published: October 16th 2016
Edit Blog Post

<em style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">Day 259 Monday 3rd October 2016 – Piran to Trieste Plink, plink, plink, “Whats that noise?” must be the fridge, but it keeps going and then I think there was a flash of light in the room so I get up and look out the window just as a huge fork of lightening streaks across the sky and I see that it is pouring rain outside and the sound had bee... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

VeniceVenice
Venice

Canal
VeniceVenice
Venice

Typical scene
VeniceVenice
Venice

St Marks Tower
Venice - Doge's PalaceVenice - Doge's Palace
Venice - Doge's Palace

Inner Courtyard
VeniceVenice
Venice

Gondola Traffic jam
VeniceVenice
Venice

Gondola overtaking lane
VeniceVenice
Venice

More Gondolas
VeniceVenice
Venice

Aahhh Venice
VeniceVenice
Venice

San Michele
VeniceVenice
Venice

Shelley on the Grand Canal
VeniceVenice
Venice

Liner cruising past
VeniceVenice
Venice

Grand Canal
VeniceVenice
Venice

One of thee many bell towers
VeniceVenice
Venice

Life size cricket made of glass
VeniceVenice
Venice

Grand Canal
VeniceVenice
Venice

Slaves supporting the Doge
VeniceVenice
Venice

Church
VeniceVenice
Venice

Water taxi from our ferry
VeniceVenice
Venice

Great sign
VeniceVenice
Venice

Cruising the canals



17th October 2016

Restaurant cover charge?
That's a nice little trick! Although it probably covers their costs with those tourists who sit and nurse one drink forever, or share one meal but use two sets of crockery and cutlery (I'm grabbing at straws here...). Venice looks particularly beautiful in that autumn light, seriously gorgeous photos :)
18th October 2016

Restaurant cover charge?
Still in Italy and the cover charge is such a random thing here, and how much they charge varies. We love the City tax they put on hotel rooms, and that would have to be the most random tax in the entire world, and always enjoy when you budget for it and they don't charge you---woo hooo another round of drinks.
18th October 2016

Rain against the window
Good sleeping weather and yet you were up and on the road. Yuck. So many cathedrals so little time. We have not been to Venice but long to go. So many museums and so little time. Florence is one of our favorite cities.
18th October 2016

Rain against the window
Being in Slovenia we were just so close to Venice we just had to go. Shelley had been before and was happy to go back and we both just loved it. We were going to hook a right hand turn and check out the Alps and see some of the areas you have just visited this year but we have now been sucked deeper down in to Italy, and it is fantastic.
19th October 2016
Venice

Brilliant maneuvers!
You stayed and ate outside the city, and had a drink in a small plaza, not in St. Mark's--excellent. I stayed in a convent over on Guidecca Island (20 of us in a huge,open room hung with massive crucifixes, where novice nuns would have slept for years--yikes; 2 weeks was enough for me) and illegally took a ferry in daily. Fortunately, I paid for Murano and the other islands because that was the only time anyone checked. Brilliant to have saved pricey, fabulous Italy and Western Europe for last. You'll get back home and think the prices reasonable.
20th October 2016
Venice

Brilliant maneuvers!
Staying in a convent? that could be habit forming! - sorry bad joke. Contemplated having a coffee in St Marks square till I saw it was 12 Euros each - I would want a foot massage with it for that price. We did contemplate Bolivia on this trip as we thought we could stay there for a month on what we are paying here for a day.
19th October 2016
Venice - St Marks Square

Great shot, but...
What a sea of inhumanity! Looks as if it was the cruise ship day, or maybe you were back in Prague! Cruise ships are the bane of travelers these days, and I fear it will only get worse. Grumpy old traveler here on the world's friendliest site!
20th October 2016
Venice - St Marks Square

Great shot, but...
Yes two cruise ships on this day, one big and the other HUGE. Yes the crowds were as big as Prague but I think because St Marks is so big it sort of can handle it. Didn't cop all the bad agro like we did in Prague and thankfully only a couple of segways. We agree with you about cruise liners, (and river cruisers too), and I guess that's what makes Bolivia so appealing to all of us. Watch out for the next blog on Florence where the grumpy traveller takes the helm again.
5th November 2016

Loving the memories!
Venice is beautiful, over run by tourists for most of the time however worth the visit. So glad you got to see it Scotty and Shelly, revisit it. Great pizza! Where are the pigeons?
5th November 2016

Loving the memories!
Thanks for the memory hit for Shelley she had forgotten about the plagues of pigeons. Hardly saw any this time - perhaps the tourists are eating them on those pizzas. Couldn't cope with the tourist hordes in Prague but somehow didn't seem to bother me in Venice, perhaps the place is magical!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 19; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb