the city of water...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
August 12th 2006
Published: August 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Venice has got to be the most distinctive city in the world. You get off the train and there it is in all it's glory, the grand canal. Where you have water buses, water taxis, water garbage boats, and even a armored bank boat (think Brinks), hilarious. The streets are really narrow and your shoulders almost touch the walls in some parts. It's funny to see people go down a street and end up it being a dead end with the canal being the dead end. Very expensive city, our water taxi from the hotel to the train station cost us 60 euro, that was for a 10 minute boat ride!! I think we got took. Met a very nice couple from the states, Chicago, and ended up hanging out with them for the day. A word to the wise, the wife of the couple had her wallet stolen right out of her back pack. these two gypsy girls, about 12, distracted them enough so that one was able to unzip the bag, take the wallet and zip it back up again. The husband figured it was when they were at the train station and these particular girls cut in line, he was giving one heck and that's when they figured the other one went into the bag. So BEWARE, especially at the train stations. We did go to Murano island, home of the famous Murano glass blowing factory, very interesting tour but the store where the art is was way too tempting...bring your wallet. Well ciao for now, off to Verona to see the opera, Aida.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb