Venice, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
June 26th 2012
Published: June 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Venice - Grand CanalVenice - Grand CanalVenice - Grand Canal

View from our Hotel window
Tuesday 26th June, 2012

The last few days have been a bit of a blur.

We spent some wonderful time in Como, before boarding the train yesterday to Milan, then on to Venice.

The train for the first leg of our trip to Milan was delayed by 30 minutes, which meant that we missed our pre-booked connection to Venice. However, on arriving in Milan, Gail used her charm to get us on the next train which left about 30 minutes after we arrived.

Venice – arhhh… Beautiful.

To quote Elizabeth Berkley, “I will never forget experiencing Venice for the first time. It feels like you are transported to another time - the art, music, food and pure romance in the air is like no other place.

It is indeed a magical place – despite the hoards of tourists.

After we arrived, we found our hotel – not too far from the train station (about a 10 minute walk), checked in, then went for a stroll.

While sitting at a canal-side restaurant, we were talking about our trip and Gail asked where we were yesterday. Quite
Venice - Grand CanalVenice - Grand CanalVenice - Grand Canal

Gail - water taxi tour
honestly, neither of us could remember – it took a couple of minutes to register.

The window of our hotel room overlooks the Grand Canal – here’s a web site that describes the Canal… http://www.bellereti.com/jzimm/Venice/Gcanal.html We can see the water craft moving up and down the canal, and the scene is ever changing.

Today, we caught a water taxi to San Marco Piazza, along the scenic route – it cost a bundle, but was wonderful to see the architecture, the activity on the water, and soak up the spirit of the city.

We then did the usual tourist things – visited the thousands (?) of shops, had a (very expensive) lunch in the Piazza while listening to a Venetian orchestra playing.

We visited the Gustav Klimt exhibition – an Austrian Symbolist painter and one of the most prominent members of the Vienna Secession movement. His major works include paintings, murals, sketches, and other art objects. Gail loved it, Steve was less impressed.

It was then about a 2 ½ hour stroll back to the hotel – along lots of alley ways, past thousands more shops while soaking up the vibes of the city.

Again the shops cater for the tourist – particularly the female ones. (Didn’t see a hardware shop anywhere!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

VeniceVenice
Venice

Louis Vuitton shop
Venice - Gail & SteveVenice - Gail & Steve
Venice - Gail & Steve

San Marco Piazza
GailGail
Gail

Breakfast venue at the hotel, Venice, Italy
Steve & GailSteve & Gail
Steve & Gail

Venice, Italy


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb