Casino Royale


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
August 2nd 2011
Published: August 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

With no planned accomadations, we woke up in Rome after sleeping past our first alarm and hurried to the next available train to Venice. We arrived around 3 pm, still confused by how poorly we planned Venice, grabbed an ice cream cone and every possible city map and tour guide we could, to try and gain our grounds on the floating city. In order to comfortably self-tour ourselves around we decided to drop our stuff off at luggage lockers in the train station. The heat was so overwhelming because of the buildings protecting us from wind that the only plausable way to navigate Venice was with a tall, ice cold, cervesa. Somehow midst walking around the city of 171 some odd islands, we got momentarily lost, and while Tenille and I checked the map, Kyle found a brouchure for free entry and shuttle to and from the oldest casino in the world. Even though a casino isn´t the smartest way to conserve travelling funds, we couldn´t say no to the free shuttle and mandatory black blazers that the casino provided for free. Suited up and ready to gamble in a casino that´s way out of our league, we set a budget of 20 euro each, and were seated at a blackjack table while Tenille stayed downstairs and hit the slot machines. 20 minutes later, embarassed, and a combine total of 100 euros down (we have great will power), Kyle and I quickly handed in our coats, grabbed Tenille, and headed back in the direction of the train station with our tails between our legs. After our sleeping budget was spent restoring the oldest casino in the world we realized our best option to save money was to rough it on platform 1 of the train station. We spent the night drawing attention from fellow travellers, while shooting gin and housing flys, which leads us to our next quote of the trip: Tenille "Hey Ty, theres a bug on your foot," Me: " Is it a mosquito?" Kyle:" Naw dude, its a just a fly." Me: " O ok, he can chill." After a sleepless nights on the steps of the station we were happily on our way out of Venice on the 715am train to Ancona, Italy. Upon arriving in Ancona, we treated ourselves to over-priced ferry terminal food and an 8 wait to our 12 hour ferry to Split, Croatia. Celebrating the eve of Kyle´s birthday shooting the last of the gin, and cruising the Adriatic Sea towards our destination. Onto Croatia.

Advertisement



6th August 2011

Not impressed by Venice
I've also been to Venice and honestly wasn't that impressed. Our 5th wedding anniversary was last year in November. That is perhaps the worst time of the year to visit Venice. It was dark and foggy and Venice was so spooky. At least the accommodation we rented through www.holidayrentalweb.com was fine and cozy. We must have spent more time inside the apt than exploring the city. Really pity.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb