To Venice via Assisi


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 1st 2010
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

An early start as usual on travelling day. Barry and I sat at the front of the bus. Barry asked our bus driver Massimo if he has a brother called Rubens Barichello, as he looks and drives just like the racing driver! Of course Massimo said he is Rubens brother.
On the way we stopped to view the Church of St Frances of Assisi. The church was lovely and the town had winding narrow streets full of shops, especially lace and fabrics. As per usual we ended up waiting for everyone to get back to the bus and realised that George, the elderly chap travelling solo, hadn't returned. Mike one of the american guys ran up the hill to look for him and, being an up front sort of guy, used the town square P.A system to call out for "George!!". No reply. He eventually turned up, he'd gotten so lost he had to get a taxi back!! Of course then we had to wait for Mike to get back, and gave him a big cheer. We have a great bunch of people including Anne our leader, three doctors, and two nurses. There's four from NZ, four from Oz, a few from the UK but most from the USA, although most have families originating from other countries.
The bus eventually reached Venice, it couldn't take us any further than the parking area, our luggage was taken by boat and walked to our hotel. The Carlton Grand Hotel is very central, right opposite the station (boat station) and on the Grand Canal. The rooms are very cute but small, and as usual two single beds pushed together.
This evening we went out for dinner, not that impressed again with the food but it's good to get out in the city. Finished off with a baileys in the hotel bar


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb