Back to Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 20th 2009
Published: September 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Friday 18th
Sailing all day up the east coast of Italy, back to Venice.

Joan had her hairdo, and in the afternoon had an acupuncture treatment (at my insistence - nothing to lose) for her back pain and a massage. Joan is a sceptic, but she said the acupuncture result was great and the massage by the Chinese lady acupuncturist the best she had ever had!!!! Makes me very happy!

As the end of the cruise approaches we are both delighted with it - just about every aspect of it sets a standard which would be difficult to beat. Thanks Pete and Mary.

Saturday 19th
Just realized a lost a day somewhere in my last report!! Oh well, senior moment!

Arrived in Venice at 0640. We had joined a new Late Departure program - we can stay on the ship (which sails again this evening) until 1530, using all the facilities. Vacate the cabin at 0900, stow our carry-on bags under security and watch a movie in the 42nd Street theatre.

After lunch we left the ship and got some confusing directions to the late departure baggage area. Finally found it and left he departure area looking for a taxi. Then discovered I’d left one bag in the baggage storage area. The security guy wouldn’t let us back in the departure doors - directed us (and another group) back through check-in which by this time had a mile-long queue!! Fortunately I still had my sea pass which fast-tracked me into the main inwards area. A very friendly ship’s officer explained that the Late Departure program was brand new to the ship and the Venice security people, and said he would solve the problem. He did and I retrieved the final bag.

Got a cab to the Plaza del Roma (as far as the cabs can go) and was advised that our Hotel (Amadeus) was actually on the island - either walk 500 metres or take a water taxi. The latter was a no-no for Joan and asked a porter to carry the bags while we walked. He agreed, pointed the way for us and said he would deliver the bags by water. I was not happy to lose sight of our gear but had no option.

The 500 metres turned out to be more like a kilometer, which we traversed very slowly. Finally found the hotel and five minutes after arrival our bags arrived intact!!!

The hotel restaurant is Japanese (sushi only) so we had dinner at a nearby restaurant. Met a delightful Canadian couple over dinner who had just finished a 12 day cruise with another line.

The beds are great

Cheers
Joan and Chesty


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb