Italy with Kids - Treviso


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 10th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took another opportunity for a relaxing start to the day. Joseph and Liam headed off to the playground early to make some friends. Then at 10am when the pool opened they went swimming. Liam returned at around 11am, saying he wanted to make some friends so didn't want to be in the pool, but then decided to get back in later anyway. Joseph paired up with a german boy, whose name I think is Marvin, and they hung out with another kid playing table tennis under the pine trees.

Around 2pm we decided to head out and go driving around Treviso, a town north of Venice. The guide books suggested it had some nice art work and there are wine trails around the town. Although we're not wine drinkers, the wine trails typically offer various foods as well.


Our first hurdle was getting out the gate. Apparently they shut the gates from 1pm-3pm while everyone is having siesta, or as the lady who met us said, thinking we were german, "ruhe". She let us out anyway, thankfully as we didn't want to wait around when the pool and shops
were also shut.

Now, in terms of kilometers, Treviso is not far away from us, but due to most of the roads being 50 to 70 km/hr speed limited, it took around an hour to get there. Treviso is a charming town, with a series of streams and rivers running through it, literally: in many places their buildings spanned and divided the rivers and streams with water wheels and small viaducts. add to this a combination of the older and the very new style in buildings, with fountains, paving, old frescoes, carved columns and Kylie and I quite enjoyed it. We stopped for the mandatory gelati, got directions from the tourist centre, and visited the Duomo (cathedral).





After the cathedral we lucked onto two candy stores
on Via XX Settembre which cheered up our two long-suffering patient ones.





after Treviso I had planned for us to do a wine trail, however it took so long to get to Conegliano (where the trail ended) that we decided to turn around and head back to our rooms. So we saw a lot of corn fields, and all sorts of vegetable fields, tractors (which we were stuck behind many times), and some dramatic and fascinating buildings in the towns along the way. I'm thinking if we had a couple of weeks in Veneto we could spend the time really exploring, but we've already worked out a number of other places to visit to fill up the next few days...



Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb