Day Seven - Doges Place, Rialto and Lido


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
June 10th 2008
Published: June 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day Seven - Doges Place, Rialto and Lido



Day seven was a free day for us, so we decided we needed some historical exposure. We joined another two couples to try our hand at public water transportation to Venice to see the Doge's Palace. The Doge's Palace was the seat of government and Doge residence during the period that Venice was it's one governed state around 700 to 1700 AD. Because of the affluence of Venice beginning a critical gateway between the East and west; and being a very successful at ship building, the palace is nicely done. I am not a historical expert, so these comments are truly hearsay.

The palace is grandiose, and an excellent reflection on the governing force of the day. I really liked the Golden Stairway which led to the government rooms. All the carvings and gold were beautiful, and very hard on the neck. Unfortunately, no cameras were allowed so you will have to go there to enjoy it.

We did get to pass over the Bridge of Sighs which is the bridge convicted criminals pass once they are sentenced and condemned. The sigh comes once the criminal realizes he or she may never see civilization again. On the other side we got a tour of the prison and its dungeons.

After the palace visit we had some lunch in a small restaurant. We then went to the Rialto Bridge and marketplace. What a view from the bridge. And very crowded.

In the marketplace we had some fresh fruit in cups that was outstanding. Great taste and very fresh. All the food we have eaten so far has been very fresh and flavorful.

We returned back to Lido for our afternoon rest and came back again for some quick shopping. It was our last night in Venice.

We had a very nice dinner down the street from our hotel.

EPI notes:
This day was a free day so we had little to do with the tour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb