Geneva - Switzerland to Venice - Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 25th 2008
Published: May 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 25th May - Up at 6am to catch a 7am train from Geneva (Switzerland) to Venice (Italy) which was 7 hours on the TGV fast train. The sights from the train of the Swiss Alps with snow capped peaks was fantastic. Unfortunately time did not allow me to take the scenic train from Zermatt to St Moritz which is infamous for endless tunnels and breathtaking views of the Alps - however what I did see was a true taste of the Swiss Alps. Spoke to an older Canadian couple on the train and then a brother and sister from the Gold Coast in QLD, Australia. Ironically, they are 2nd cousins of Casey Stoner who I am going to Florence next week to watch race in the World Moto GP (Motorcycle GP) - however they say since his rise to fame he is now barely contactable and they were not actually in Italy to see the race. Arrived in Venice at around 14:30 and caught a water taxi down to San Marcos square - had a lot of trouble finding my accommodation as the map was hard to read and the alleys and lanes are like a maze but I was in no hurry. I was greeted by a gorgeous young green eyed Italian receptionist who did not speak a lot of English - I entertained her by at least saying hello and thankyou in Italian before proudly demonstrating I could also count from 1 to 10 in Italian. My Grade 5 Italian lessons in primary school are now paying off! Checked in and showered and then wondered over endless small bridges and canals and back to the train station noting the place is sprawling with tourists mixed in with locals (who appear ok with the tourist invasion). Went back for a powernap and then explored the island between the train station and the Rialto bridge before landing in a cool little bar in a large courtyard that was playing great chill out tunes. Most of the banter appeared to be in Italian and it was quite a classy crowd so I stood alone for a while and observed before breaking the ice with a group who I noted were speaking English. They were part of the crew of a private yacht owned by an American Billionaire and had docked in Venice for 2 days. Met Pheobe who was part of the crew and we conversed on common ground given she was originally from Geelong in Melbourne, Australia. We all wondered down to San Marcos square for another drink where I met more of the crew - I think all the crew was of a different nationality. Had a great night before wondering back home via San Marcos square where I stood and watched an outdoor musical group playing some classical Italian (Violin, pianoaccordian, cello, piano etc). Very entertaining!


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb