Bye Bye Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 25th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ciao! Well, it is 10:00 on Tuesday night and we are just back to our hotel outside of Milan, near the Malpensa airport. It is our last night in Italy and ... I don't want to go!! We spent the last three nights in Venice. Venice - what a city! Yes, there are lots of gondolas out on the water and many other water crafts. It is a pretty cool city - absolutely no cars, mopeds or horses. You can walk just about anywhere. Venice is actually 118 small islands that are joined together by many small bridges. We stayed about 5 minutes from the Rialto bridge - that is if you know the way there. They say you should get lost in Venice - well that is not hard to do. You won't believe how easy it is to lose your sense of direction and how easy you get twisted. But that is part of the fun and charm of Venice. We also did the tourist thing in Sant Marco's square - yes we fed the pigeons and yes they do sit right on you if you want them to or not. I have to be honest and say at first I was a little --- okay alot hesitant --- but after awhile I did join in and kinda liked it --- not!!! The homes along the grand canal are quite beautiful and also a surprise. I say that because from the outside they can in some case look not well kept, but inside, my gosh they are wonderful!! As Stan talks about in his post below there are alot of tourists in Venice, alot of day trippers and cruise ships that drop people off. So it made riding the water buses a bit of a challenge as they were always so crowded. We visited the Doge's Palce, the Doge was a leader or figure head of Venice. The palace was incredible and it is also where the Bridge of Sighs is. The story behind the bridge is that when someone was sentenced to prison they had to walk along the bridge of Sighs and they would sigh as they knew that they would never see Vencie again. And as part of the tour we got to walk the bridge of sighs and venture to the prisons. Certainly as we look back at our trip I can honestly say that I will be back, there is so much that we didn't see, and so much more worth seeing. So if anyone is planning a trip count me in!!! See everyone soon, M.

VENICE ~~ SATURDAY, sep 22nd, 2007.The drive from our Tuscany Villa went without hitch. Wayne has mastered the art of Italian driving ~~ a la Ferrari!!! We took the Toll Highway right to the exit at Venice. Parked the car in Long Term Parking; found our way to the initial Vaporitto (Water Bus) and boarded. We had earlier purchased a 72 hour pass for all Water Bus travel. To say that it was a new and interesting experience is to do it injustice. It was just that!! Fortunately they allowed us to transport our luggage ~~ the signs indicated they would not but the attendant said “no problem” (in Italian of course); accordingly we carefully watched the names of the “bus stops” and disembarked at Ca D’Oro and with some difficulty found our way to the apartment. The apartment: my god it is lovely!! It is well furnished, furnished with the personal belongings of the owner; the carpets on the floor could have come from Persia; the CD music collection is endless; modern art adorns the walls; the lighting is equally modern and appealing; couches are comfortable and we have two bedrooms fully furnished. However; that is just the beginning; the large sitting room, complete with a small library, has an 8 foot glass door which opens on to the canal << not the main canal but one of the “vias” ~~ roads. (The canals are referred to as roads and the boats as busses as you have gathered.) Just to complete the apartment description, the kitchen is equipped with modern appliances and we have a hot bath for the first time on our vacation. After settling in to our apartment located on the 2nd floor, we decided to take an exploratory run to St Marks Square ~~ walking part way and riding the “bus” part way. By now you will not be surprised at our continuing reference to the number of tourist >> my goodness there are tourist!! The pix that Michele has posted will give you a better appreciation than my description!! It is so crowed that bumping and pushing >> ON THE NARROW WALKWAYS is not unlike that you would experience on a crowded bus in any major urban centre. You may or may not know that there are no cars, none, not any, in Venice. The streets, the vast vast majority, are about 2 metres wide, and many are less. WE found ourselves working our way through many of these “streets” on our way home from the Square >> will describe the square in another posting; as we experienced our first adventure of temporarily loosing our way!!! Despite the fact that the light was fading; it was about 19:30; Wayne with some help from his Mother and Michele, was able to get us home. Dinner has been prepared; we are dining in tonight; so I will end this posting and enjoy a wonderful home made Venice Dish complete with red wine from Montepulciano which as you will remember is where we stayed in Tuscany. As you will see in my sign off, the time now is 20:30 (8:30 p.m.) and that is early to begin dinner in Italy. I have to admit that we are getting into the rhythm and rather enjoy it. Good Night All; Gramps; Dad; Stan 2007 09 22 20:30 local.

Good Evening From Venice! As we begin to think about preparing our 2nd last fine dinner in Italy, and last in Venice, we reflect back on our wonderful holiday. Setting the stage; Michele has just returned from the wine store with 2, (not one for this special dinner) but two fine bottles of red Italian Wine. In the last entry we commented that we were into the rhythm of Italian eating and to make my point, the time now is 19:15. Michele and Wayne, our cooks for the dinner are just now beginning their labour of love. Our choice of music for the pre-dinner activity is Eric Clapton Unplugged ~~ if you have never listened to the CD, I cannot be too enthusiastic about the CD. Buy it, you will certainly enjoy it!! My recommendation is for all ages in this regard. Lois and I took it easy this afternoon; we stuck close to the apartment, not “in” the apartment but not so far away as to tax our muscles unduly. Wayne and Michele went on a longer walk and Wayne expressed the view that they visited the 2nd or 3rd most ornate and wonderful church on the trip thus far!! Given the number of churches we have visited, that is a statement in itself!! A little about riding the “buses” of Venice. First; that is the term given to the boats which constantly run the major canal of Venice; they run frequently; they are always crowded; they are reliable. (Michele will no doubt post a pix or two of the “buses”.) AS one cruises up and down the major canal, you experience a variety of unusual items to us ~~ but no doubt, normal to the Venetians!! The mail is delivered by barge; the supplies for the restaurants, supplies for the hotels, supplies for the limited construction or re-construction are all delivered by barge. This a.m., right below our window (we live on one of the minor canals) two barges pulled up, one with a crane, and they began to unload their cargo into the “street”. The “street” incidentally is only for walking on; the “street” varies in width from about 8ft to a maximum of 16ft. Most are in the 8ft range and are conducive to getting lost. ((We have not told Wayne and Michele yet but yesterday afternoon Lois and I got lost, man did we get lost.)) The unsettling thing about this experience is that when we “found ourselves”, found our way, we were within 20 meters of the street on which we stay. The very positive part of the experience is that all of our Guide Books about Venice tell us that “getting lost” is an imperative for everyone. Last evening after dinner; we had dinner at one of the ever present Street Restaurants; we decided to take a ride on the Vaporiti (the canal) from our end of town to the opposite end of the main canal. We checked the schedule and came to the conclusion that we would be able to get back to our stop at 23:56 (4 minutes to midnight). The run was not quite as crowded as during the day. We were able to obtain seats in the “back of the bus” and enjoy the scenery. Although Venice is not renown for its nightlife it was refreshing to make this “end to end run”. We must admit to a degree of anxiety as we reached our furthest point, The Lido, a point from which it would have been impossible to walk back to our apartment!!! We were obliged (asked) to leave the “bus”, and not at all sure that there would be a bus to return us to our stop!! Fortunately the very same bus, with the very same conductor that evicted us, did an about turn and allowed us to re-board!! Being good “public servants” (Controllers were once “public servants”; we did have a contingency plan ~~ that being the hiring of a water taxi!!) It all worked out according to plan and we arrived at our point of disembarkation on schedule!!! I have mixed my days somewhat for this entry. (The wine no doubt) I think what I will do is to sign off and attempt a separate entry describing our activities for Monday, the 24th of Sep. Dinner just may be getting close!!! Thanks for following me this far!!Gramps; Dad; & Stan 2007 09 24 20:00 (local).


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb