We are back online and in Paris!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 9th 2007
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Room Service in FlorenceRoom Service in FlorenceRoom Service in Florence

We called room service and requested a special meal...and they delivered it exactly as we described it! The meal was not on the menu, the Chef got on the phone with us and knew exactly what we wanted and he delivered! Awesome.

We are back online, out of Italy, in Paris and most importantly, Ginny is doing great!


Here is the summary: we traveled from Rome to Florence (7/6) where Ginny came down with a sore throat and temperature. We camped out at the hotel and were not able to see Florence, guess we will have to go back!. We were pressed by schedule to move onto Venice via Eurostar speed train (7/7) where we were able to spend two nights, cancelled our tour and made time for Ginny to rest. We called a Doctor (7/8) who arrived by boat to our hotel, on a Sunday nonetheless, who diagnosed Ginny with a secondary infection of her left lymph gland as a result of the earlier sore throat. She prescribed antibiotics and with some good luck and quick action by the hotel manager in Venice, John was able to take a shortcut to an open Pharmacy (Pharmacia) where the Pharmacist was great - a back way that the locals take - he never would have found it by himself. The Pharmacist spoke English and was very, very helpful. John ducked into a local restaurant, ordered a pizza to go and raced back to
Good Spriits!Good Spriits!Good Spriits!

Ginny was in good spirits but she was very ill. Later we took her temperature and it was 102 degrees, very disconcerting. As a result, we did not see that much of Florence.
the hotel with the medicine and the pizza. Ginny made a good recovery, John went out to video and take pictures of Venice and we successfully traveled to Paris (by air) today (7/9) without incident. Ginny is feeling much better and we are returning to our vacation schedule starting tomorrow.

(7/6) Hotel in Florence was great to us and fixed a special meal of mixed salad, pasta with tomatoes and bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar - Ginny's favorite!

(7/7) After a tough travel day to Venice we laid low, did not go out, slept, watched the British Grand Prix and the Tour de France.

(7/8) The next day, Ginny was not any better and it was time to get serious and call a Doctor. The Doctor was super and arrived in 20 minutes after we made the call. She had been on an emergency call and was returning to the local hospital when she diverted to our hotel. Her orange "ambulanza" boat tied up right outside our window and she was knocking on our door in no time.

After Ginny took the medicine and was resting, John went out to video Venice and take
On the train to FlorenceOn the train to FlorenceOn the train to Florence

We left Rome and headed north to Florence. Ginny was feeling okay, but not great. Her music got her through the trip.
some pictures. John found his way to San Marcos Square and filmed quite a few sights including the Gondeliers.

Then on to Paris with Ginny feeling much better. Our hotel is in a fantastic location between buildings of the Louvre. We can see the Eiffel Tower. Tomorrow we head out to Normandy to walk Omaha Beach and the memorials located there. The day after we will be touring the highlights of Paris.

We are starting the last week of our journey and after touring the UK we will be on our way home!




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Heading to FlorenceHeading to Florence
Heading to Florence

John on the high speed train from Rome to Florence.
Travel day to VeniceTravel day to Venice
Travel day to Venice

Ginny was feeling pretty sick but showed strong determination to make the train to Venice and go from there. Tough travel day.
Pulling into VenicePulling into Venice
Pulling into Venice

The train arrives at Venice via this bridge. No cars can traverse into Venice.
Time to call the DoctorTime to call the Doctor
Time to call the Doctor

I went to the front desk at the hotel and asked the Manager to call a doctor. She arrived 20 minutes later, by boat, to the front of the hotel and knocked on the door. The bell captain came along to translate if necessary. Later, when she began examining Ginny, the Doctor told the bell captain to leave. Very reasonable treatment; expert diagnostics and prescriptions for $52 USD.
The PharmacyThe Pharmacy
The Pharmacy

John received directions from the hotel Manager as to how to navigate on foot through Venice to the only Pharmacy that was open on a Sunday. Upon arrival, the Pharmacist spoke English and was extremely helpful. John ducked into a nearby restaurant and came out with a pizza and headed back to the hotel with medicine and food in hand.
San Marcus CathedralSan Marcus Cathedral
San Marcus Cathedral

Up close the artwork was fantastic. The Cathedral was in various stages of restoration.
San Marcus Square, VeniceSan Marcus Square, Venice
San Marcus Square, Venice

More architecture surrounding San Marcus Square.
In TransitIn Transit
In Transit

Condoleers in transit with passengers along the main waterway encircling Venice.
Pickup at San Marcos Square!Pickup at San Marcos Square!
Pickup at San Marcos Square!

The cellphone era connects with a bygone era.
We are here!We are here!
We are here!

Arriving at destination.
Training wheels in VeniceTraining wheels in Venice
Training wheels in Venice

Some things remain the same wherever you are in the world.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb