Back in the sunshine


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Padua
February 15th 2009
Published: February 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

well not much to say today, but i like to update every day so everyone knows i'm still alive.

got up in plenty of time this morning to catch my train at 931 (not 930, 931) from munich to verona, then switch to another to padova. the train was crowded and since i booked kinda last minute i got stuck in a middle seat in a 6 seater compartment. reasonably comfortable though, and the lady in the window seat next to me was passed out half the ride leaning the other way so it wasn't too bad. beautiful scenery though, snowy mountains for most of th eride, lots of tunnels. went through brenner pass in austria and there was quite a bit of snow. but then as soon as we got down the other side, the snow disappeared, the sun came out and bam beautiful italy.

had a little bit of trouble connecting trains in verona. there was a fast train to padua/venice leaving at 259 from platform 4 which requires a reservation (which i didnt have since it was more $$) then my train, also to padua/venice was also leaving from platform 4 at 314. (the times crack me up, why don't they add which second too?) well the first train was late, so my train got moved to platform 3. i didnt really realize this and the train was there and waiting and i ran over and got on just in time. i manage dto pick a seat that must have been near the bathroom cuz man did the place stink. bu tit was just an hour so i suffered it out. too lazy to move my bag.

anyhow, arrived in padua no trouble, and hoofed it 20 mins through town to find my hotel. its right across the street from St. Anthony's Basilica, and the hotel is basically for pilgrims coming to see th echurch. it is spotlessly clean, and there are signs in all the hallways in 3 languages saying SILENCE whic hsuits me just fine! good sleep tonight. its also a single room, toilet and shower across the hall. however the place seems pretty empty so i'm hoping the shower is mine. and the price is right, 41€, which is half of any decent place i searched in venice. so tomorrow i'm going to spend the day in venice (half hour train ride away). staying here 3 nigths so depending on how i do tomorrow, i'll plan the rest of th eweek accordingly. i want to go to verona (where Romeo and Juliet is set, and theres even a fake balcony for tourists but i still want to see it!). then off to florence/pisa and some other places around there.

cant believe ive been gone almost 3 weeks already. home in 9 days. booo

so padua is a nice city, pretty small but lots of people around, and a few things to see. i've been here two hours and already had pizza and gelato. I LOVE GELATO. i know what i'll be living on this week for sure.

sorry for the lame entry, but travel days are a bit boring eh?

arrivaderchi (i cant spell italian so sue me)

Advertisement



15th February 2009

Moving along
Hi Jason: You've arrived in sunny Italy. Yeah, these train times ARE amusing --typlical European. I wouldn't mind if they were guaranteed to leave at that precise SECOND but the're not --far from it. Oh welll, 'When in Rome . . .' so they say. You like the Italian food? Very tasty sounding -- likely fattening (ha ha). Had Dave and your dad for lunch -- glad to see them. It's snowed all day -- the load of junks I got yesterday are buried in it. (ugh) I thought I might get a few days clear to move a lot of it, but no, Murphy's Law prevails. I hauled in about enough for 3 days last night. Saw the twins' photos taken in Gander -- one of you with a very happy face. You're right, they're redder than ever now --great looking babies though. You've still got a lot to see before you get back to NL. How're you gonna stand the monotony after the adventures you've had? Make the best of it. Bye, N
19th February 2009

mmmm Gelato
mmmmmm yummy gelato

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb