Word: Asolare


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Asolo
June 10th 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.7933, 11.9128

Asolare (v) - the leisurely and agreeable passing of time, unburdened by any pressure of purpose.

So, today was our farewell to Asolo. We've loved our time in this little village.

The accommodation was perfect (OK, it could have been one bed larger – the internet had said there was a small bed for a child up to 5yo, but it turned out to be a cot! So, the nights that Nonno and Nonna spent here, one of the kids was sleeping on the floor on a nest of blankets, and we were on the sofa bed) and the kids loved having the room to run on the farm. The old couple downstairs said they thought we have beautiful kids, and that they loved listening to the kids play. (The old man said to Steven, in Italian "so, the little one hasn't lost his tongue, has he?" – everyone notices that Matthew talks non-stop!) And we were envied by everyone who walked up into town, as they passed our little patio where we sat and ate our meals, or played cards, or just sat and talked until the sun set (at 10pm!)

It was perfectly located, too – we had a 3 minute walk into the town, passing the Freya Stark villa, the 16th century fountain and the town walls. The town is tiny, with 2 bread shops, a handful of restaurants and bars and a number of lovely dress shops and expensive jewellery shops. There was just enough to do and see – and we think the castle, with its bar overlooking the playground, is a perfect place for an aperitif before dinner! (Today the radio was playing “Perfect Day” as we sat there!) Georgia loved looking at the exhibition by the Asolo school about gardens and plants. But Asolo was also well situated in terms of our sightseeing around the Veneto area – 90min to Verona, 70 mins to Venice, Vicenza, and an hour to Treviso and Padua, as well as a number of nearby little sites to keep us interested on “easy” days.

The food chain is a little bit shorter here – Steven and Matthew watched the lady downstairs plucking one of the roosters that, half an hour earlier, had been scratching around when the boys played soccer. Now we know where the delicious roast chooks we had for dinner the other night came from!

We didn't do much today – a bit of packing, a walk up into town and a coffee in the main piazza, then home for a sleep and some school work, then another walk into town for a play at the castle playground (with a bar – did I mention it has a bar?) and dinner at home. Goodbye to beautiful Asolo!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



20th June 2010

love the painting. and the shorts are all out!! around 20% here today and we are 'rugged up'!!!love J&E
20th June 2010

My dear FRIENDS,Like every comments from your wonderful time in Italy is so interessting,Kaylene you should receive the NOBEL PRICE as a SUPER italian Comentatore!!I wish you a good trip coming to Ticino, before you leave Switzerland.Tanti
cari saluti e baci Marguerite
21st June 2010

My you describe this beautiful life style so well, for a brief moment I thought I was there with you. What an enchanting experience. Continue to enjoy and God Speed for the final moments of your very special journey together. Roycelyn

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb