Sandals and Sweaters


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Assisi
February 12th 2006
Published: February 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ieri, siamo andati a Assisi. It was lovely. And it was the first of a bunch of trips our program is taking us on, so the transportation was free! well.. kind of. pre-paid would probably be more accurate.

Assisi is in Umbria which is a region in the center of Italy, directly north of Lazio, the region that Rome is in. Umbria is really really popular, Perugia is in Umbria and i'm pretty sure there was a movie made about it. So it wasn't too far away, it was something like two hours on a bus. i'm not totally sure because i slept the whole way there and back, buuut as far as i know it wasn't too far.

So Assisi is well known for the church of San Francesco and the church of Santa Clara, after those two saints who were from there. We went to the church of San Francesco first and oh my goodness it was gorgeous. Inside there are stunning frescos by Giotto and his teacher Cimabue. Most of the frescos have survived marvellously, i was really very impressed. There was one chapel in the lower level that was blocked off which apparently has something Giotto that is really famous, but clearly i don't know enough to know what it is soooo i wasn't too upset. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the cathedral, so you're just going to have to trust me that it was breathtaking. for some reason i really love early christian art. it might be the feet. i loove early christian feet. they're just so funny. they hang awkwardly over the frames of paintings. but anyway. i like the lower level of the cathedral much better than the upper one. the upper one is still having work done and most of the frescos tell the life story of San Francesco. the best part of the upper level is the benches surrouding the pulpit that i'm assuming are for an assortment of monks. they are designed with amazing inlaid wood - pictures of saints and angels and just really intricate design. oh and we saw the tomb of San Francesco. slightly creepy.. but cool.

After that we walked around the city a bit and ended up at the church of Santa Clara. She was a follower of Francis and started the nun's order that goes along with the friars. Her
the view from the churchthe view from the churchthe view from the church

well.. technically this is the view from the restrooms near the church.. but whos counting
church is not quite as cool, most of the walls were white. white.. tisk tisk. well there was one interesting thing, in the cript there were relics from st. francis and st. clare along with the tomb of st. clare. among the relics were clothes from both of them and a sandal and some hair. neeeeeat.

ok then after leaving the church and almost getting run over by a stampeding tour group on the way to the public restroom, we happened upon this big town ceremony. we were originally attracted by sounds of a brass band and we assumed it was a parade. it turned out we were all awaiting the arrival of.. a bishop? to the church in the main piazza of the city. this guy is clearly a big deal. i really don't know who he is, but people were screaming for him. really screaming, it reminded me of the days of 'nsync and wpst concerts. only with the clergy. and he looked at me and waved. it's true.

All in all, Assisi.. thumbs up. not so much to do per se, but the churches are beautiful and the streets are lovely. they are really old and small and there are cute sets of stairs all over the place. and like the true italian hilltown it is, there is a great view of the countryside. and if you want to see some monks, this is the place for you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

the main piazzathe main piazza
the main piazza

before the hubbub began
temple/churchtemple/church
temple/church

now a church, once a temple to minerva
jenny jenny
jenny

under the supports of the church of santa clara
in front of santa clarain front of santa clara
in front of santa clara

i didn't take a picture of the facade of the church, we were too close.. but here is the piazza in front of it.
the fortthe fort
the fort

we would have gone if we had more time.. and more of a desire for a calf workout..


23rd February 2006

nsync and the bishop
he waved.. but did he raise the roof? clearly nsync is better. ;o) miss you. hate you. love you.

Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb