Assisi & Cortona


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Assisi
May 7th 2009
Published: May 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday we drove to Assisi and Cortona. We wanted to do more but Assisi took time to reach and we spent more time there than expected. It was the prettiest town we have seen. Very clean. The balconies of the homes all have flowers and they have a competition once a year for the best front door-balcony. We walked thru the town and made our way to the Basilica of St. Francis. For those of you that dont know, St. Francis taught equality between man, woman and animal thru Gods teachings. He is the Saint in the brown robe and usually has birds around him. The Basilica was really pretty and on the edge of the hill town. His tomb is in the lower Basilica which was amazing to see. Several people make a pilgrimage here each year. The place was great until the end when we got gelato and the sever was super rude. He has really been the only rude person we have encountered but it left a sour taste in our mouthes. I know we shouldnt take it personally. There was also a festival going on and everyone was dressed in medieval clothing. There were drummers marching thru town which was cool to see.

On our way back, we went to Cortona (back in Tuscany). This is the town famous for the book and movie Under the Tuscan Sun. It was a very small hill town with beautiful views. It was also walled in from the Ancient Etruscan times. We had a nice time there but it was our least favorite hill town.

I think we enjoyed the previous days towns more. They had a little more charm and seemed a little livlier. We have decided that Sienna is our favorite Tuscan town. We loved the square because it is perfect for sitting and people watching. They do a horse race there each year around the small square. Its a tradition and very intense. At least one horse wil die and this is the time of year the people of the town get out frustrations with each other. Sounds like a sight to see.

After Cortona, we made our way home for another dinner on the farm. This time we had a French couple with us. They are the ones that explained the horse race in Sienna to us. They went a few years ago and said it was amazing. We had a nice time with them. They spoke English and Italian. We learned thru them that the farm is from the 1300s and Riccardos family bought it in 1918.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb