Assisi Adventures


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Assisi
June 19th 2008
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We hop on the train to get to Assisi early in the morning, to have one of the funniest moments of my life. We walked into a shop to purchase some souvenirs to find some good finds! We make our choices, and we make our way to the cash register... all the while surrounded by religious articles in the middle of a city known for its strong connection to the Catholic faith. We are then met by a spry older lady who very carefully and meticulously (and may I say slowly) wrapped up everything for us... but with a very dry sarcastic attitude in every word we exchanged. She makes her way to a back room to find a box for the statue we had purchased, and she is less than satisfied that it wasn't the right box, but she made it work perfectly... actually it was wrapped up very nicely and with great care. Then we go to pay...
"credit card ok??"
"of course!!!"
however, the process to use the machine was not yet mastered... and so commences the colorful language... So here I find myself, bright and early, standing at a counter, buying religious articles, in what is considered a holy place, established on famous saints and their orders, surrounded by saint statues, crucifixes, and the like... being serenaded by a very good bit of all the Italian cusswords I know... interesting yet funny moment of my life.
Once we finished that, we made our way around Assisi, to see the churches and the sites... in particular, the scenery! che bello -- the scenery around Assisi is some of the prettiest I have ever seen!
After a light, yet yummy, lunch, we make our way to the fortress atop Assisi for some awesome outlooks...
Once we finish up there, we make our way back down to the station to head back to Perugia. In Perugia we walked around the piazza and the center of town, and had a WONDERFUL aperitivo of bruschette and cheeses --- with a nice big bottle of wine! As we are sitting there, the sun slowly sets, and we are surrounded by some good people watching in front of the duomo. At one point, some marching band comes up in front of the fountain playing music for a bit... and then just goes away... that is the randomness that I love about Europe!
Once finished up, we then proceeded to a restaurant where we dined on particularly famous types of meat of the region -- it was good... but wasn't what it was all cracked up to be... nonetheless... we went home full on both food and wine... to find a nice night's rest (not! we had to wake up SUPER early the next day... but totally worth it...)
Until the next blog!


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

beautiful lil' outlook beautiful lil' outlook
beautiful lil' outlook

I have this picture from all 3 times I've been to Assisi :)
FortressFortress
Fortress

Our climbing destination
Momma & MeMomma & Me
Momma & Me

with the Umbrian landscape as our background!
Sisters!Sisters!
Sisters!

hidden amoung the mean nooks and crannies of the fortress...


Tot: 0.184s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0746s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb