Firenze and Casa Verde


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
October 4th 2012
Published: October 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Firenze 3 - 4 October, Casa Verde
Today we went to the Uffizi, an amazing place as those who have been will agree. Entry story first - we had not pre-booked tickets so stood in the queue for door entry, observed people with clipboards tickets and money belts, hmmm what could they be doing?turns out they were selling reserved tickets for almost double the price of the door tickets. Scalpers you may ask? It looked very official and was out in the open so we decided that it was kosher and as twas likely to save us an hour in the queue we paid the excess! As well as the sculptures and art works, the ceiling is to die for! I want one, or two! The history inherent in the artworks, ceilings included, is so interesting, not only the stories told by the art but the evolution of the artistic styles as well. Must say that Ken did not last too long, he made it to half way through the first Wing and called it a day. Jane had seen all of the second floor when we caught up with her so she and Ken headed home for lunch. I completed the second and first floors and decided I had reached my overload level so attempted to exit, not so easy!!!!!!! Following the exit signs led through more and more galleries, and you think Ikea is hard to get out of! It was all so interesting but at least half of my brain was at screaming point so I was vey glad to at last find my way out.


Firenze 4 October
Last day in Florence. Jane and I went to the Duomo, Ken's knees had really started to play up,and he was not going near any stairs so he stayed and home and sorted out our sim cards. Jane went up the Dome of the cathedral while I tackled the Campinale, all 414 steps! I went very slowly up and even more slowly down so my vertigo did not get too upset! Had to talked myself up to complete the top half but managed to go out and view Florence and the top of the dome from outside the top of the Campinale. Took myself off to a cafe to recover and wait for Jane, she had enjoyed the dome climb too. We have taken photos and we will upload them but will need to wait for a better Internet connection.


Casa Verde 4 October

On our return from the Duomo we collected our clean laundry, packed, picked up our hire car, a Renault, and for headed for Lucca for lunch, a late lunch at about 3pm, very Italian , si? We arrived at our villa Casa Verde on the outskirts of Bagna di Lucca, actually Pievre Monti di Lucca, just after 5 pm and were very glad to get there! There are seriously a number of serious switch backs on the way up the hill, Clem would love this road! Will load the video later, again when we have better Internet connection! The hill, combined with it being Ken's first experience driving on the wrong (right) side of the road made for an interesting trip, and ken was exhausted at the end if it!

We went for a walk thought the cobbled streets of the village, very old stone cottages/villas, mostly two to three stories high but quite narrow. The street led to the main road and heading down the road back to our villa we happened along the vege truck. What a stroke of luck, we needed to buy supplies! It was an interesting and at times challenging conversation with the vege man as we tried to explain what we needed. He had the best peaches ever and gave us one each to taste in addition to what we had bought. After we had concluded our order he added some carrot, celery, basil and parsley, just as well as I do not think I could have pantomimed those to him, it was hard enough with the grapes! He had some tonic water too, which was great as I had the leftover gin from the boat.
We had a snacky dinner with leftovers from Florence and additions from the vege man and an early night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb