Elena's Globally Renowned Melanzane Alla Parmigiana


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
October 25th 2007
Published: October 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This recipe is one of the many great Tuscan recipes that Elena makes. I have been trying to get this recipe out of Elena for ages. I mean I live in Italy and eat the most wonderful food every day but this recipe was always exceptional. I would eat at Elenas place and I would find my self mopping up the last drops of sauce from the plate with the crusty homemade bread Elena always provided. Perhaps not the best of manners but in Italy these things are accepted. Hey, why waste good food? Well the good news is that I have finally got the recipe from Elena so I am paying it forward.

Elena and family unfortunately no longer live in Italy but the family still produces the best food in their new restaurant Pane e Vino and the family also makes awesome Grappa as they have been doing for centuries.

Their Grappa liqueur chocolates are the best!! They only sell to a few restaurants in New York to date but if you are interested in getting hold of the chocolates or some great Grappas just contact me

On to the recipe....

MELANZANE ALLA PARMIGIANA

Serves 4

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

6 brinjals/melanzane, sliced lengthways about 6mm thick

olive oil

30g butter

salt, to taste

500g tomato sauce (made with peeled tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, basil and olive oil)

50g grated Parmigiano Reggiano

a handful of basil leaves, chopped

250g fiordilatte mozzarella

1) Preheat the oven to 180°C.

2) Place the brinjal on a baking tray then brush with olive oil. Place in the oven until soft. Remove.

3) Butter a baking dish then layer the bottom with the brinjal. Season with salt. Cover with the tomato sauce, Parmigiano Reggiano, chopped basil and mozzarella. Repeat for at least 3 layers.

4) Cover the last layer of brinjal with only tomato sauce then place a few rounds of mozzarella slices on top. Bake in a 180° oven for 20 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Cook's note: This will taste even better the following day!

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb