Renaissance Masterpieces - Florence, Lucca & Pisa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
September 30th 2022
Published: January 20th 2023
Edit Blog Post

The Intrepid tour group was small – five participants plus our local leader. The small group size made for easy coordination and movement as we travelled by train from Rome to Venice via Florence, Lucca, La Spezia (the Cinque Terre), Asti, Milan and Lake Como. Many thanks to Ana, Paul, Brenda, Mariah and Andrea for making the two weeks fly by. Lots of good memories, food and wine! Lots and lots of wine…

We spent the first morning together doing a walking tour of some of the Rome sights, then headed to Florence by train (2-ish hours) for a couple of nights. I had been in Florence twice previously but had never been to the Accademia to see Michelangelo’s David, so that was my primary goal. Third time lucky and it was worth the wait! Crowded (but again, that was the theme everywhere it seemed) but still places to sit and observe Michelangelo’s masterpiece. The Accademia is more than just the David, so I spent another hour exploring the rest of the gallery before wandering off to see more of Florence. History in literally every piazza! I love Florence for how compact and walkable it is.

The second morning in Florence was spent visiting another gallery I had never been to, the Bargello Museum. More fantastic sculpture and artwork.

Galleria dell'Accademia - Wikipedia

Michelangelo - Wikipedia

Bargello - Wikipedia

Florence Cathedral - Wikipedia

Florence - Wikipedia

Our next destination was Lucca, a walled, Renaissance city about 75km north of Florence. Highlights here included an evening Puccini concert in a former church and a morning cycle along the city walls into the countryside. Giancomo Puccini was born in Lucca and was one of Italy’s foremost opera composers. Lucca was also memorable for the torrential downpour of rain during our second dinner there – it was wild but fortunately didn’t last for too long so we were able to walk back to the hotel eventually.

Lucca - Wikipedia

Giacomo Puccini - Wikipedia

We spent an afternoon in Pisa as it is only 30 minutes from Lucca by train. It was cool and rainy so not a bad thing to be inside of the Cathedral and Baptistry. I had been to Pisa a couple of times in the past, so no Tower climb for me. It was amusing to watch the crowds trying to take the perfect "leaning" photo of the Tower though! I was very impressed with the frescos in the Campo Santo area of the Cathedral complex - the colours and designs really pop in some of them. Quite remarkable given their age and the fact they are covered over top but otherwise exposed to the fresh air.

Pisa Cathedral - Wikipedia

Leaning Tower of Pisa - Wikipedia

Pisa Baptistery - Wikipedia

Camposanto Monumentale di Pisa - Wikipedia


Additional photos below
Photos: 93, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



20th January 2023

Thanks
Our last family holiday in Europe was staying g in a villa outside of Lucca and exploring Florence, Sienna and Pisa. Thank you for bringing ginger back some great memories.
21st January 2023
Florence The Duomo2

Reflections
Quite an enticing image in a puddle no doubt...cobblestones and water framing a reflection of a masterpiece. I have posted some of your pics in "Cathedrals, grand churches, mosques and places of worship" thread in the Photography Forum. Great additions and not the usual images of the domed Florence Cathedral. Check 'em out.
21st January 2023
Florence The Duomo2

Thank you!
21st January 2023
Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo Viewpoint of the Duomo

Florence cityscape
A pleasure to behold and breathe in, no doubt
10th February 2023
Florence Accademia David1 by Michelangelo 1501 1504

Florence is on the most wanted list
Italy has som many wonderful places I want to visit. Florence is one of those and had for many years been on my most wanted list. I was planning on going there in December but ended up in Sicily instead. I will publish blogs from that trip later this year. I am busy writing those now. /Ake

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb