Siena, The Town


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Signa
May 23rd 2014
Published: May 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

SienaSienaSiena

This one is for you, Siena!
Okay, okay. I can just hear some of you saying "you went all the way to Italy and you are just going to sit around on the beach the entire time? You guys are crazy!" We know which ones of you that are saying that so today we decided to make you happy! Actually we woke up to rain so we decided it was a good day to take a day trip to the ancient city of Siena.

Siena, a fascinating city. This was a city we absolutely had to visit because our granddaughter, Elizabeth, has a friend who was named for this city. And we are so glad we did.

Siena was a major banking and trade center around 1260-1350. Then the bubonic plague swept through the city and cut the population by more than a third. Siena never recovered. But the cobblestone streets and the towering brick buildings have lasted. It is fascinating to wander down the narrow streets with the tall brick apartments towering over you and the shops at street level. It is amazing to consider how all these were built in those days. You could easily get lost in the maze of narrow streets. You could spend hours even days wondering around admiring the architecture, the ancient doors, the statues in every nook and cranny. We were enthralled with this beautiful city.

And then of course there is the Cathedral. The white and dark green striped church dates back to 1215 with the major decoration done during Siena's heydays from around 1250 to 1350. And here again everywhere you look there is a statue or a painting or tile work on the floor or pillars or the ceilings to admire. To imagine the people of those days laboring their entire life working on the cathedral is mind boggling.

We had a great day exploring the city of Siena. We only saw a small portion but what we say was amazing. A note to Siena, the person not the town, you must visit your namesake some day. You will LOVE it!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ancient DoorAncient Door
Ancient Door

Doors like this are all over town


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb