Siena and lots of wine


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
April 28th 2012
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.3187, 11.3305

Bongiorno all:

We saw the entire medieval city of Siena on a 2-hour walking tour Saturday, led by a wonderful native Sienese woman from My Tours. Saturday happened to be the Feast Day of St. Catherine, so everything was decked out and festive.

We heard about the 17 districts in the city, the role Siena played as a pilgrimage stop between England and Rome, the life of St. Catherine of Siena, patron saint for this city and all of Europe, the war between Siena and Florence, its role in banking, and the annual horse races run in the Il Campo, the public square in front of the city hall, Palazzo Pubblico, that pits the city's neighborhoods against each other in a lively, festive competition.

The walking tour ended inside the Duomo, a stunning architectural and religious structure. Inside is a sensory and spiritual barrage of striped columns (white and black marble, symbolic colors of the city of Siena), 56 incredible marble inlaid biblical and historical scenes, an altar partially created by Michelangelo, a chapel to the Virgin Mary, and the heads of about 1000 years of popes looking down on the cathedral's main nave. Absolutely wonderful.

A bit later that day, we learned about olive oils and the local Tuscan wines -- Chianti, Nobile di Montepulciano, Brunello di Montalcino, the local Sangiovese grape, and Super Tuscans -- at the 2-hour Tuscan Wine School. Now that was fun! Good thing we were walking so we didn't need to worry about a designated driver.

The evening ended with a nice home-cooked meal surrounded by locals at Osteria Nonna Gina. Mike had gnocchi again, but unlike any he'd ever had before -- stuffed with cheese and smothered in a green, earthy, secret sauce that epitomized Italian comfort food, Sharon had a pici pasta tossed with fresh tomatoes and heavenly spices. The owner brought out bottles of house-made amaretto and another kick-butt Italian liquor to top off the meal.

Delizioso!

Be well.

Mike and Sharon/Dad and Mom


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



30th April 2012

Sharon you are looking very tall!:)
1st May 2012

Amazing updates you guys! The amount of ground you two are covering is making it seem like you never sleep!The architecture, colors, designs, and history are making me drool... Incredible and what a vacation.Miss you lots!Kate

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb