The rain has stopped!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
June 10th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.3187, 11.3305

The day started off partly cloudy but then the sun came out by the time we drove to Siena. The city was very busy and initially we had trouble trying to find a parking place. In the end we parked in the football stadium which is only a short walk from the centre. I love the narrow streets of Siena lined with lovely shops. Our first stop was the Duomo, which has lovely frescoes, altars , chapels and marble floors as well as a beautiful library. We had bought the ticket which also took us into the Crypt which was only discovered during excavations in 2003. There are portions of frescoes which has never been seen before in a huge area below the cathedral. It went down a long way and looked as though the present day Cathedral had been built on top of an old romanesque church. We then did the Baptistry which has beautiful bronze panels by Ghiberti and Donatello. Lunch came next in the Ristorante Mugolone on via dei Pellegrini. The food and wine were very good here in particular ; tagliolini au truffe; stuffed courgette flowers; cheese souffle; chicken in grapes and grilled lamb.
The successful day could not end without a stroll round the Campo where the Palio horse race is held and which also contains a lovely fountain, more strolling round the streets and shopping in a deli for speciality food and wine to have in the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



21st June 2013

got to say a big thank you to Tiz for taking and posting all of these beautiful pic's,. Lord only knows how long it will take us to get ours "printed" [yep, we still do that! But we will send you an edited disc when we do get the job done
Thanks Tiz - for all of the great pics - and storiesPaul

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb