Medieval Siena


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
September 16th 2009
Published: September 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 514 Steps 24323 (7/9/09)
We meandered into the Medieval old city, a maze of piazza's, cobblestone streets and alleyways, gourmet shops selling cheese, cured meats and Chianti wine. First stop was the Piazza del campo, home to the horse race that stops... well Tuscany. Ten horses (each representing their region), bareback, complete three laps of the piazza taking little over a minute, the only rule you mustn't pull on another horses reins but its fine if the horse finishes without its rider. Shattered to have missed the race by only a couple weeks we soaked up the piazza's atmosphere in the sun. We created our own gourmet picnic lunch complete with a tiny bottle of Chiani. After taking a look at the Happy fountain and extravagant Town Building, we made our way to the gothic style Duomo Cathedral . Jez content he's seen the best so why see more (St.Peters that is), enjoyed some people watching from the outside whilst Carly ventured in for a look at the detailed mosiac floors.
We wandered about with argueably the best gelati yet ( frutti de bosco and white chocolate) before catching the bus to Florence.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0814s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb