The Cinque Terra


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Cinque Terre
September 17th 2009
Published: September 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 518 (11/09/09) Steps 25612
Up early we tucked into the free breaky and across the road to the train station purchased our Cinque Terre pass only to discover the train had been cancelled and we had a couple hours to kill til the next one. We stopped by the supermarket for lunch supplies and returned to the station with the other couple hundred tourists. We jumped off at Monterosso, the first and furtherest of the five villages considered the most difficult of the walking track and best we felt tackled first. A beautiful village overlooking the ocean, we regretfully didn't look around much but hit the steep walking track for Vernazza. The track winds its way around the coast connecting the five villages and providing some amazing views over 16km. We made it to Vernazza and continued past the signs of struck out high heels (they recommend walking boots) for Corniglia. Here, we headed down to the marina, for a swim in the crystal clear torquiose water and lunch. Refueled and somewhat refreshed we cruised on to Manarola. A gorgeous village skirting coastline and a popular swimming spot and we stopped for a gelati. The last leg of the walk was a stroll along the paved "lovers lane', lined with padlocks (of unknown significance) to the last of the five villages Riomaggoire. After a lovely day, we got the train back to La Spezia for a shower and dinner.
Tucked in early ready for our early start the next day to listen to the O & K and/or Tallangatta league grandfinals.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 62; dbt: 0.084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb