Pisa - Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Pisa 1Pisa 1Pisa 1

How many tourists have done this pose before?
Monday 2nd June: Sean, Gemma, Al and I all boarded a train and headed for Pisa. A 1 hour trip west of Florence we arrived for some grand Italian coffee and cakes before heading over the river to the iconic Leaning Tower of Pisa (Torre Pendente). The tower was not as tall as I had anticipated but certainly leant further than I expected. We circled the base and then took some snaps before heading to a cafe over the road for wine and beer (birra) and marvelled at the famous monument. Construction began on the tower in 1173 by Bonanno Pisano and only 3 of the towers 7 tiers had been completed before it started tilting continuing at a rate of 1mm per year. By 1990 the lean had reached 5.5 degrees - a tenth of a degree beyond the critical point before stability was finally ensured in 1998 with works on the foundations - today it is 4.1 metres off the perpendicular. We then headed back to Florence with some "roadies" and came across an old lady passed out on a park bench - Al and I made sure she was breathing and that her bike was road worthy before heading back to the massive Hostel where Al, Sean and Gemma were staying. This hostel was fully renovated with a swimming pool, sauna, gym, bar, music, pool tables and dance floor. We drank beer well into the night playing pool and socialising with folk from countries all across the globe. Home by 3:30am after yet another long day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Pisa Cafe 3Pisa Cafe 3
Pisa Cafe 3

Big Al, Gemma and Sean
Pisa 15Pisa 15
Pisa 15

At least someone is getting a bit!
Pisa Cafe 1Pisa Cafe 1
Pisa Cafe 1

Capaccino - Florentine Style
Pisa Cafe 2Pisa Cafe 2
Pisa Cafe 2

From a little cafe in Pisa...
Back in Florence 4Back in Florence 4
Back in Florence 4

The drunk lady's bike!
Back in Florence 5Back in Florence 5
Back in Florence 5

Al and I were determined to pick the lock...
Back in FlorenceBack in Florence
Back in Florence

She was in no state to ride her bike home
Back in Florence 2Back in Florence 2
Back in Florence 2

Big Al thought he would join her on the next park bench


4th June 2008

Italian Stallion
Hi Dave, I'm a little confused re Italian Doggy style..... the boy is on the bottom..... How does that work? Looks and sounds like your having a fantastic time.
4th June 2008

Leah: Italian Stallion
I know - I thought the same thing.... Was quite a laugh.... Hope you're well....

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0298s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb