Not Just The Tower Is Wonky In Pisa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
May 23rd 2008
Published: May 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Florence to Cinque Terre


Left Florence at 8:30 this morning with Lauren the American girl I met on the San Gimignano trip. She crashed out after her big night the night before until we got to Pisa, where we put our stuff into storage and jumped on the bus to the Piazza de Miricoli (Field of Miracles)... may have gone via the airport first but we still got there lol.

Queue the tacky souvenir stalls. Seemingly millions of them... and a few more Pakis and Indians walking around. One lady made the mistake of stopping to talk to one and before she knew it she had sunglass sellers all around her.

The whole area is on dodgy ground so it isnt just the Tower that is affected. The Duomo (for which the tower is the bell tower) was affected during construction too, which you can see in the side walls at the front as they had to add a few semi complete courses to get the bottom part straight. If you look from the correct angle you can see where they tried to change on the tower as it sunk, it seems to have a bend in it. You dont really notice the lean on the baptistery as much due to its blocky shape.

Due to the tight schedule I didnt worry about climbing the tower (yes a first). Or visiting the Duomo even though it looked pretty impressive from the outside at least... but then so did the one at Florence and that was a huge disappointment inside.

The person who started the idea of posing for pics so it looks like you are holding up or pushing over the tower has a lot to answer for.... everyone was doing it, myself included lol. Just made it back to the station for the 11:53 train to La Spezia, missed the 11:44 to Levanto. Time for the Cinque Terre...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb