Our Lucca is Running Out!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
October 6th 2006
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Lucca was the bookends of our culinary tour week. Today, Friday, we went into Lucca to nose around, some may look at real estate (with our multi-talented hostess Doris), or in our case, figure out how we were getting to Venezia the next day. While the rest of the group went about their chosen activities, Dooooglas and Marzio escorted Ann and Pat (with Dave and Barb, too) to the train station to purchase our Saturday tickets. Marzio had heard there might be a train strike and quickly started asking around to find out the full scoop. He was so wonderful, trying to figure out how he could help us avoid any delays. When he heard the strike was not going to happen (he made some phone calls), he helped us navigate our first attempt at train travel in Italy. What a guy!!! After securing our tickets, Ann and Pat walked the walls and battlements of Lucca. We stopped in a bar for a cappuccino and an ice cream bar (we'll let you figure out who got what) and to use the facilities. Well, this place had a stand and squat toilet (Turkish); there were only two foot pads and a hole. Ann decided to wait! Our thoughts of renting a tandem bike and riding the walls of Lucca were scrapped when we looked at the time and found we needed to get back for our pasta making experience with Anna Maria at il Mulino.

On the way to il Mulino, we stopped at Dr. Danielle's home for antipasto. She and her contractor husband live in the basement of an old convent. They are remodeling it into rental apartments. Sign us up!! The restoration work is incredible. They found secret doorways and frescos under the plaster. All the bathrooms are very modern and spacious (not something we every found in Italy)! There will be a swimmng pool and traditional Italian garden when the work is completed.

Our week ended with hands-on learning how to make tortelli, the Lucca specialty of half-moon shaped filled pasta served with a meat sauce. Of course, Pat had his hands right in there providing appreciated assistance to Anna Maria, the local expert. It was kind of like Julia Childs, because the wine glass was never empty while cooking either (for Pat, not Anna Maria.)

In addition to the tortelli, we also made Arrosto di
Making Meat SauceMaking Meat SauceMaking Meat Sauce

Anna Maria no parle inglese. Carmie explains, while Carmie's cousins from Calabria cozy in.
Tacchino e Maiale (herb-rubbed, sage and garlic turkey and pork roast) Patate Rosmarina Croccante (crisp, oven roasted potatoes with fresh rosemary), and Verdure arrosti alla Balsamico (oven roasted fennel, red pepper, yellow pepper, onions, black olives drizzled with Balsamic vinegar).

The elation of making the food for the meal was multiplied when the eating commenced. Everything was delicious and the leftovers (wines) were soon history as well. We were entertained by Beppe, Sergio, and Company. They sang traditional Italian songs and ditties. We were joined by Dr. Danielle and husband, Marzio and wife Carla, Carmie's two cousins from southern Italia, and various other neighborhood folks who we encountered during the week. Those Italians do know how to party!

Marzio's wife, Carla, made an incredible tiramisu for our dolce. What Italian party meal ends without the Vin Santo and Cantuccini? Certainly not this one.

On to Venice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Pasta 101Pasta 101
Pasta 101

While the lovely assistant Pat holds a makeshift bowl, Anna Maria is separating eggs for pasta dough. Doris looks on.
Pasta 102Pasta 102
Pasta 102

Pat needs (kneads) dough. Anna Maria approving his technique.
Pasta 103Pasta 103
Pasta 103

Carol rolls, Pat guides the pasta sheet, and Doris instructs.
Pasta 104Pasta 104
Pasta 104

It's like an assembly line. Dana, Allyn, Barb, Claudia, and Joanie stuff and cut the pasta.
Pasta 105Pasta 105
Pasta 105

Notice, at no time do their hands ever leave their wrists!
No WasteNo Waste
No Waste

Leftover dough is made into tagliatelli, then dried.
Peperoni ArrostoPeperoni Arrosto
Peperoni Arrosto

Roasted red and yellow peppers for the bruschetta.
Evening LibationEvening Libation
Evening Libation

The remnants from the week of dining. All leftovers will be consumed before the party is over.
Task is FinishedTask is Finished
Task is Finished

Torteli making is done. Pat, Carmie's cousins, and Chuck celebrate! The girls speak no english, and are very delightful!
Food, Friends, and SongFood, Friends, and Song
Food, Friends, and Song

Our last night party at il Mulino was a great success. Pat had a lot of fun!


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb